We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in a week at Calcutta

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in a week at Calcutta

My 11 year old daughter and I are spending a week at the Oberoi Grand next March. I would be grateful of suggestions of activities to do. We are on holiday so I don't want to cram it so full of activity that we feel we need another holiday to get over it. But I would be grateful for suggestions of excursions, beautiful architecture, nice walks, museums etc that we can do, thougfh we will probably spend half the time in the hotel around the pool. Also, I adore Indian food so some good restaurants would be welcome too, though my daughter is Thai and most unadventurous with food.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

We have just spent a week in Calcutta and as well as spending some time exploring the city, we visited the Sunderbans. We took a 3 day/ 2 night tour with "backpackers" and it was the highlight of our time in Calcutta. As well as meandering through the Sunderbans on a boat spotting the wildlife, you get to stay in a mud hut in a rural eco village, I am sure you & your daughter would enjoy it.

Susie.x

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

There are following sights and excursions from kolkata listed as top attractions

tripadvisor.in/Attractions-g304558-Activitie…

We stayed a full day including visit of Victoria memorial, Hawra bridge, flower market , assembly Hall, maidan , Mother Hoise, Jain temple and kali temple .

The highlights of tour was Murti Makers streets. The colour full statues of Godess Kali Krishna was mind blowing.

Excursions like Belur math we couldn't do because of time limit.

Sunder ban seems worth to do for your daughter.

Yogendra

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

Thank you Susieque and Yogendra, some great ideas, sure we will do some of them.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

As suggested by Udaipurmagic above, Kumartuli, the place where they make clay models of Goddesses, is an excellent place to visit. You can also take a photo tour, you can google for Calcutta Photo Tours which is run by Manjit, very nice fellow and a friend of mine.

If you are staying at the Grand, don't forget to try the Baan Thai restaurant in your hotel for excellent Thai food. You can also take a look at the links here-

tripadvisor.in/…26712587

Edited: 11 April 2013, 05:26
5. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 12:52
Edited: 16 April 2013, 12:52
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

AKOLKATA,

Please do not advertise your agency. Your posts will be reported for solicitation.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

@brave1, two of our homes are in Thailand, whilst I am sure we will eat Thai food at the Grand, my interests lie in Indian food (though my daughter might disagree)!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

Bruce,

Excellent Indian food available at Park Street, quite near to the Grand. Try Bar-b-que, Oasis or Peter Cat. I do not like the Indian food they serve at the Oberoi Grand, so I suggest you venture outside. There is an excellent restaurant called Zaranj in walking distance, near the Indian Museum.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 16:57
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

@brave1 thank you, I will definitely try all of them

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in a week at Calcutta

Hi, my husband and I need to stay overnight at the airport to catch the flight to Paro/Bhutan,could anyone please reccommend a reasonably priced Good hotel near the airport. Thankyou