We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip to Kolkata end Nov 2013

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai (Madras...
2 posts
Save Topic
2 day trip to Kolkata end Nov 2013

Hi

we are 9 adults and 5 children (3-10 yrs) planning to visit Kolkata end of Nov 2013 for 2 days. We will be reaching Kolkata airport at 11.00. Planning to take two Sumo and go to Kalighat. After that travel to Belur Math and stay up to 9 pm in Dakshineswar. Stay over night at a hotel (not booked yet). My train is at 8 pm to Kashi the second day. Any recommendation on what I can see on the second day. Any recommended place for lunch / dinner vegetarian Kolkata food if possible. Any recommended place to book Sumo for the trip. Any recommended better Itinerary. Any budget hotel for family. Is Metro travel safe (crowded) with children, not familiar with Kolkata Metro.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip to Kolkata end Nov 2013

Hi,

your itinerary seems ok. You can go to Oh Calcutta ! in Forum mall for Bengali food, they have veg dishes. Kolkata metro is fine for kids, but avoid peak office hours (9 am - 11 am) and 5 pm - to 7 pm.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip to Kolkata end Nov 2013

Hi

On the second day you can go for Mother House, Victoria Memorial, Birla Mandir in Ballygunje, South City mall, City Centre 2.

Regarding Hiring a car there are many options available but you can try out Mukesh Taxi Service. Very propmt and reliable.

Regarding Food if you want to taste Bengali food then Oh Calcutta is a good choice suggested by Brave 1 other wise BAR B Q in park street is a good choice to go for.

Travelling in metro is safe but not during Peak hours. There is heavy rush and not advisable to go with the children during office hours.

Sanchit

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
35 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day trip to Kolkata end Nov 2013

Just head to park street....there are numerous

Restaurants with vegetarian options...if

You're looking for all veg...there is

Shiv sagar in camac street over westside....and Casa fortuna in sarat Bose road.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day trip to Kolkata end Nov 2013

Hey, A lot of great suggestions from my fellow members and I will jump in and add a few with my comments.. oh Calcutta is very good, no doubt about it, though do note that it is expensive, so be prepared. Cheaper options are there as well.

Also important to note is that getting to your station from the city will be a pretty chaotic ride especially at the hour around 8 when you have your train, so do keep time in hand.

Just a word of caution, in my opinion you are cramping too much in the 1st day itself. You get in at 11, by the time you reach Kalighat after luggage collection etc it will close to 1. Post Darshaan (here have no clue how long that will take you) and maybe a quick meal, you head off to Belur, which by road will take you close to an hour and half at that time. Belur Math will be a good 2 hours and you will love it as its such a serene place. Do check the website for timings cause they do shut the main sanctum during midday.

My suggestion would be -

day 1 - do Kalighat and sight see around Kolkata city, places like Victoria memorial, Mother house, etc

day 2 - depart early from your Hotel and go visit Belur Math and then Dakhineshwar Temple. From there head back to the station, I am presuming your traveling out of Howrah station,

Hope I have been able to answer a few of your queries...

cheers

Chennai (Madras...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day trip to Kolkata end Nov 2013

Hi Indyray, brave1, ShajitAgarwal and Shreya J2w

Thanks for your comments. All your suggestions were helpful. Thank you once again.

Cheers

YearEndTraveller

6. Re: 2 day trip to Kolkata end Nov 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:16