We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

I'm going to be in Kolkata for 5 or 6 days at the end of September to early in October for viewing and photographing the Durga Puja. How can I book a taxi for that time to take me around to the places this festival is celebrated. I want to see the Puja and preparations for it so its probably best for me to rent a taxi for the time I'm there. I know the statues are dumped into the Ganges on the final day and that can go from morning to sundown. I think there are many venues I want to go to so I need a taxi with a driver who speaks some English and knows a little about where to go.

Any advice on how to contact taxi drivers is appreciated.

David

Mentioned in this post
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata District, India
India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
39,184 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

Hot_Fudge_Sundae99

No doubt Durga Puja is the mega event of Kolkata, it's the most ideal occasion to capture numerous interesting frames for photographers, from idol making to immersion of idol. But the city will be sleepless for 5 days. Roads will be flooded by pedestrians, mainly after sunset. Most of the roads nearby the Puja Pandals will have NO ENTRY sign. Getting parking space is next to impossible. Traffic congestion is most common feature during these days.

Cabs will charge 3 times higher than the normal rate. So, it would be better to contact a good cab provider, the driver must know all the lanes by lanes.

AshisRoy

Edited: 14 June 2014, 17:25
Mentioned in this post
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata District, India
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

AshisRoy

Thank you for your reply. Can you please provide me the name and email or phone number of one or more recommended cab providers. I am in America and don't know much about how to get around Kolkata. I expect to pay extra for the taxi because of the busy event, but can you please give me some advice about what price to negotiate for.

Do you agree with my plan to hire the cab by the day rather than trying to flag one down on the street during the Durga Puja?

David

Mentioned in this post
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata District, India
Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
934 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

Hi Hot_Fudge_Sundae99

I would recomend you to go wit Manjit from http://www.calcuttaphototours.com/. Manjit is a photographer and is excellent feedback on the tours. Lookup into tripadvisor and lonely planet for his feedbacks.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,587 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

I would second that. Talk to Manjit, he knows the places ideal for photography and will advise you which places to cover by car or on foot, and arrangements thereof. He is a brilliant photographer himself, so will know what you want.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
39,184 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

Hot_Fudge_Sundae99

You may contact the vendors for cab. It should be pre-arranged. Vendors name sending through PM.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 09:19
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

Arijit12: Thank you that is a wonderful idea. It not only solves the taxi problem but provides a guide with knowledge of how best to view the Durga Puja. I am now in touch with Manjit

AshisRoy: Thank you I received the PM with the names of the cab vendors. Thank you very much.

All: Does anybody know about tours with Bengal tourism. I have heard they have bus tours during the Durga Puja

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,184 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

Hot_Fudge_Sundae99

West Bengal Govt Tourism conducts bus tour for visiting Durga Puja. Quality wise Cox and King is better choice for the same kind of tour.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 08:31
Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
934 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

Hi Hot_Fudge_Sundae99

I would second Mr Roys view on West Bengal Govt Tourism Puja Tours.

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

Hi, Can u plz provide me some local cab no.s who could arrange a day tour for me. WD be travelling Alone so need some reliable contacts.The online sites are lil expensive. Am planning to go from airport to dakshineshwar Kali temple to gariahat to rabindra sad an to IIM , (if Jagannath temple too CD b included in btwn then WD b get )

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,184 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to book taxi for 5 days in Kolkata

misszomato

You can contact the following vendors, but I am not sure about their credential and service.

Grewal Enterprise, Inderpal Singh Grewal : 9903109462, grewalenterprise@gmail.com

Mr Chandan Sarkar +919836407413,

Mr. Sukumar. +918981849512

Edited: 26 July 2014, 08:01