We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we make a day trip to DI?

michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Should we make a day trip to DI?

Just some info:

We have 6 kids (12 and under) and were wondering if Dauphin Island would be a nice excusion from Orange Beach for the day? I see we can take our car across on a ferry (which the kids will think is neat).

We are going mid November. Fort Gaines, some fishing and maybe the Sea Lab are on our intinerary.

Does it feel too cold by the water in November for little ones? Is there anything else on the island I may be missing that they will enjoy?

Is the dog okay at Fort Gaines? Or should we leave her behind at the condo in Orange Beach?

We are traveling on a tight budget and just wanted to the thoughts of those there or have been there.

In your opinion, is it worth a day trip over in mid November? I just want to make sure we don't waste the ferry money over if there if it isn't the right place for our family.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

Dauphin Island is a great place to visit for a few days or longer. I would not go there for the day. Have you considered a day trip to Pensacola. The Naval Air Station is fun. Go when you can see the Blue Angels. The kids will like that. Enjoy your visit.

Dauphin Island...
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

I dsagree about the day trip. A ferry ride with lots of popcorn or bread to feed the gulls is a thrill ride all by itself. The weather can be in the 70's or even low 80's or cooler, hard to say.

Go on a Wed-Sunday. Stop in at the Lighthouse Bakery https://www.facebook.com/LighthouseBakery for great pastries, bread, coffee, internet, etc.

Estuarium is VERY cool for science minded and fun for all. If windy the fort will be well sheltered and is in better condition than Ft Morgan. Check with them for the times for the blacksmithing displays or other special events.

The Dauphin Island pier is no good for fishing as it is landlocked but cool to walk out on and tehn take the new steps down to pelican island. Anyway, lots to do but head over early. Ferry starts at 8:45am. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/mobilebayferry

michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

Thank you so much for your replies!

We will be visiting Pensacola ;) No Blue Angels during our stay...we checked. That would have been fun!

Great ideas about the popcorn on the ferry...I NEVER would have thought of that. The kids would love that!

Thanks too for the link to the Bakery. I own a bakery...and always love to visit others when away on a trip ;) One of my favorite things to do!

I appreciate the heads up about the fishing too. Oldest one is obsessed with fishing...guess we will save that for the docks outside our townhouse in OB.

Thank you again. I'm making so many notes for our trip. The best ideas and tips come from those that have visited or lived in the area.

Alton, IL
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

Is it possible to park car and just ride across ferry without car? If so, is it cheaper?

Dauphin Island...
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

Yes, it is possible to ride the ferrythe without a car. A bike is good. At the ferry landing you can catch the "Island Hopper" which has scheduled stops or can be flagged down. It has bike racks.

Be sure to check weather as high winds can cause the ferry to cease operations.

https://www.facebook.com/mobilebayferry

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

As for your dog, I believe they are allowed on the ferry but must be crated or leashed (which only makes sense - I know mine would jump overboard to get the popcorn or bread that is being thrown to the gulls!) Check the Mobile Bay Ferry website to be sure. Dogs are allowed on Dauphin Island which is just one of the reasons we love it. It's a great beach.

I second the estuarium and the bakery - both highlights from our previous trips! The kids will love the ferry ride as well.

Ball Ground, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

I agree with ForrgottenGulf regarding a day trip. With all of those children I think it's a perfect place for the day. Also, the tip about the bakery is a good one. Best place to eat on the island.

If you are going to go to the fort and the estuarium, I would leave the puppy at home. It won't be allowed either of those places.

michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

Thanks everybody. We didn't make it to DI. The ferry wasn't running the couple of days we could have gone while we were in the area :(

Definitely will do next time!

9. Re: Should we make a day trip to DI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Dauphin Island