We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do on a road trip from South Florida to Alabama

Which Dothan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
fln
Jaipur, India
7 posts
Save Topic
Things to do on a road trip from South Florida to Alabama

Me any my friends are going to drive from South Florida to Dothan, Alabama in the month of July. While going to Dothan we do not have much time but while coming back we plan to stop at some places, parks, cities etc.

We were thinking about going to smokies from there but that seems too far.

So please suggest places where we can go or things we can do on our trip back to Florida.

we plan to spend up to 4 days on our return journey from Dothan, AL to South Florida.

Thank you :)

(If it matters our ages are in the range of 27-30 years)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do on a road trip from South Florida to Alabama

you dont mention how far off your route you are willing to go, nor what type ., activities, etc, but here is an idea or two...

Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park ( between Tally & St Marks) this is a one day thing at most, but worth the time. There is a narrated boat tour through a swamp area with LOTS of wildlife, and scenery. Some or other nostalgic monster movie ( black lagoon? ) was made there, and there is cool history and a nice lodge and nice swimming beach.

Google FL State Parks for that.

Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra/St Augustine Area.

Obviously, you can spend all 4 days in Orlando, with an option for just about any thing you can dream up.

I will probably catch h@#l for this, but personally, I would avoid the Gulf Panhandle area this year, with two exceptions.

1. Apalachicola~ lots of history, eco tourism, antiques, "old Florida", and the BEST restaurants on the Gulf, IMO.

2. If you want to help the communities by cleaning beaches or bathing animals, etc.

I have family in DRB, and have done this drive different ways depending on the time I have, etc.

Miller

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do on a road trip from South Florida to Alabama

Hey, I live in Dothan and I am 28, so if you need info on the town, let me know ... I'm from South Florida so I've made the drive many times.

Not sure what kind of activities you are looking to do.

Agree with bhlkin .... Apalachicola is a really neat town with great restaurants. There's lots of B&Bs, shops and awesome food. The drive through the national forest is peaceful and beautiful.

There's not a lot of "nightlife" if that is your sort of thing.

If you are looking for neat places to stop on the trip, there Ginnie Springs, just north of Gainesville. A great place to tube, float down the river, etc.

Gainesville itself is a fun town. Lots of good restaurants, bars and parks.

Just south of Dothan is Falling Waters State Park in Florida. There's a little waterfall, sinkhole, camping, etc.

In the Dothan area, there's Chattahoochee State Park on the Chattahoochee river. Lots of hiking trails, water, camping, etc.

North of Dothan, there's always Eufaula. It's on Lake Eufaula. There's cabins, camping, water stuff, etc. They have some stores and restaurants downtown. Small town, but fun for a day visit. There's some really great old houses there, too.

Let me know what kind of activites you are interested in and I can give you some more ideas, especially in Dothan if you need some things to do here.

fln
Jaipur, India
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do on a road trip from South Florida to Alabama

Thanks to both of you for your detailed reply. I was looking for nature related adventure which is what you both have mentioned.

Though unfortunately, now I am going alone - I am flying to Atlanta and then driving to Andalusia, AL and leaving next day in the night from Atlanta.

I will probably spend sometime in Montgomery and Atlanta as I have never been to these cities before.

I am hoping that some time in the near future I will be able to take a long road trip with my friends. Thanks again for your help.

4. Re: Things to do on a road trip from South Florida to Alabama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dothan