We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheffield, Alabama

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
2 posts
Save Topic
Sheffield, Alabama

I am interested in directions to a Rest. called the Southland. I understand Elvis Presley used to get food there. I also know it was mentioned in Sweet Home Alabama...because that group ate there also.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheffield, Alabama

Here is the information on the restuarant from their page here on Tripadvisor:

Address: 1309 Jackson Highway, Sheffield, AL 35660

Phone: 256-383-8236

Google Maps will give you detailed directions from wherever you are starting.

Regarding the reference to the movie Sweet Home Alabama, you wouldn't want to use that movie as a resource for Alabama travel. The main setting in Alabama was Greenville, which is just under 150 miles from any beach. Yet they were able to quickly go to the beach for the lightning rods. Also, they were in Tuscaloosa part of the time (which is not close to Greenville either), so the Southland they talked about may have been the one in Cottondale, which is close to Tuscaloosa. Sheffield is at least 2 hours north of Tuscaloosa and about 5-6 from Greenville. Great movie in spite of the geopgraphic liberties they took.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheffield, Alabama

I took the reference of Sweet Home Alabama as the SONG and not the movie.

"Big wheels keep on turning

Carry me home to see my kin

Singing songs about the Southland

I miss Alabamy once again

And I think its a sin, yes "

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheffield, Alabama

My bad VeeBee, Not sure where my mind was when I read that.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheffield, Alabama

I never knew that song was referencing a restaurant....is it? I took it as "southland," meaning just the south. If it is, I suppose I learned something new today.

Louisville
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheffield, Alabama

Thank you for the Address. Yes, the Song refers to the Rest. The Band used to eat in there every day. I read this somewhere by one of the Band Members.

I am going to check it out! someone on line told me that the Rest. also has an original photo of Elvis Presley taken when he was about 22 I guess.

6. Re: Sheffield, Alabama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Florence
More Florence Topics