We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great key lime pies!!

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Great key lime pies!!

Hello again, Gulf Shores experts. I'm sorry for so many questions but my trip is a week away and I'm getting so excited. Can you recommend some good places to get really good key lime pie? I would love to pick up one or two during the time I'm there and think all of my family would really enjoy it! I know about Hope's Cheesecake, but I'm under the impression that they just make cheesecakes (maybe this is wrong?). So, can you tell some other places that sell whole key lime pies or restaurants that have it for dessert? Thanks again!

US
Level Contributor
456 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great key lime pies!!

Original Oyster House has good key lime pie. Not sure if they sell whole ones or not.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great key lime pies!!

Pretty sure Burris' produce in Loxley makes Key Lime Pies. They also have a large assortment of other pies and fruity stuff.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great key lime pies!!

Thanks so much!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great key lime pies!!

Hi, Lee. You should try making your own. It's really easy, if you can find some key lime juice. I buy it at Albertson's. Mine are delicious, if I do say so <smile>. I do bake mine, though, instead of allowing the lime juice to "cook" the egg yolks.

By the way, we lived in your area twice, once in North Little Rock (JFK and McCain) and once just north of Sherwood, just off Batesville Pike. Our son was born in Mountain Home. We loved the Little Rock area.

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great key lime pies!!

I'm not sure if they sell Key Lime Pies, but there is a little shop on Canal Road called Patty Cakes. She has some of the most awesome cakes I have ever tasted. These are not your "decorated" cakes, but really big layer cakes with gobs of icing. She has one called conglomeration of imalgamation - some crazy sort of name that has everything in the book tossed in. We have some friends that had been transferred to India for work for a while and every visit home when they came to Mobile to visit their dad, they would drive to Orange Beach for some of these cakes. I'm trying to rack my brain to think if I've ever seen pies or just cakes but my focus has always been on the Italian Cream Cakes, the luscious coconut cakes, etc. so I can't say for certain she sells pies.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great key lime pies!!

Hi RodinLouisiana,

Good idea about making my own. I actually found a recipe I had stuck in my recipe box and am going to take it with me. I'm not the best cook in the world, but others in my family might help me out some! That's neat that you used to live up here. I actually went to college in Ruston (LA Tech!). I love Louisiana and am going to make a swing through New Orleans after going to Gulf Shores. We used to visit the central LA area many times each year (Pineville/Alexandria) when my mother-in-law was alive. Small world, huh?

Nanatwins--I know the place you're talking about. A few years ago, my husband and I stayed in Orange Beach and went by the bakery you're talking about. The owner was out b/c her husband was in the hospital. I can't remember if we found key lime pie there or not. If we get over in that direction, I might check. We're staying at Ft. Morgan, so I have a feeling we might not get to OB that often. I hope we're making a good decision to go with Ft. Morgan. We have 2 toddlers in the bunch so we thought a nice, quiet beach house might be the way to go this year.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great key lime pies!!

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know I checked out the key lime pie at Patty Cakes while in Gulf Shores. It was wonderful ! Decorated beautifully too ! It's just a small establishment but they had all kinds of yummy deserts. They had a sample platter so you could ( taste test ). The man who owns the place is one of the nicest people I've ever met. I paid for my pie and as I headed for the door he insisted on giving my grandsons a treat too. They're not much on sweets but he insisted on giving them 2 chocolate cream filled cakes. I thought that was so sweet.

So, if you go to Gulf Shores be sure to pick up a key lime pie at Patty Cakes.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great key lime pies!!

I forgot all about this post! We ended up getting a key lime pie from Hope's Cheesecake and it was SOOO good! Just thinking about it now makes my mouth water. We also had some little sampler type cheesecakes-various flavors--that were also delicious. We'll have to find Pattycakes on the next trip down.

9. Re: Great key lime pies!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 11:19