We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: July 15-21

kansas city
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report: July 15-21

Hi all,

I wanted to put out a trip report for everyone with the hopes that some might find the information useful in their trip planning. This site was very helpful to me in planning the trip and I want to thank everyone for their advice and input.

My family (2 boys 7 and 4) and my brother's family (1boy 6, and 1 girl 1) stayed in a 3 br, 3 bath at the Lighthouse in Gulf Shores. The Lighthouse was perfect for our needs. Very nice condo and the pools were perfect for our young kids, especially the zero entry pool. The indoor pool came in handy the day we got there because of rain in the area. Access to the beach was only a short walk from the condo. The balcony was huge, had an overhang to protect from the sun, and the view was spectacular. The only negative about the Lighthouse was it was a bit crowded on the beach and the chairs that the condo rented were set up behind all of the tents that individuals set up right by the water. The tents block the views from the chairs so it is best to bring your own tent, or chairs to set up by the water.

When we weren't at the pool or beach we visited The Track twice and the Zoo once. The Track was perfect for our boys as they could drive smaller go carts by themselves. They also had an area with ride for very small children which was nice. If you go there between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm the tickets are half price. We were going to go to Adventure Island one day but when we looked around we realized that the rides weren't as good for our aged children so we went back to the Track. The zoo was nice but there isn't much shade and it was very hot the day we visited. I'm sure it would be a fantastic place to visit in the Spring/Fall but very hot the day we went. On the way out of town on our last day we visited the Aligator farm in Summerdale. Again, very hot but it was a pretty neat little place. If you go make sure you go when they are feeding the gators. The guy feeding the alligators put on a good show and was very informative. My older son got to hold a little alligator as we were leaving.

As far as restaurants go we only ate out about 3 times. We went to the Gulf Island Grill for lunch. It was good, not great. We ate dinner at the Sea and Suds twice which was walking distance from the Lighthouse. The atmosphere was great, the food was ok, but the staff was super friendly which made the experience much better. They also have a great deck that is right on the water where you can have a couple of cocktails while waiting on your table. Wait was 30 minutes for our first trip (we arrived at 5:30) and 1 hour the next time (we arrived at 7:30).

We bought fresh seafood and cooked it in our condo the other nights. With young kids this is a good way to go to avoid waiting for a table while still enjoying the fresh seafood from the area.

Finally, I think what makes Gulf Shores a great vacation destination is the people. All of the people were very friendly and hospitable. Not only the people working there but the other guests too. I am from the midwest and maybe I'm just not used to "Southern Hospitality". I have never enjoyed talking and interacting with people more than I did in Gulf Shores.

Hope this helps others considering/planning a trip to the Gulf Shores area.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: July 15-21

Thanks for the report, Bill. It looks like you came to town the day I left. I love it down there and can't wait to go back. Thanks for sharing about the zoo and track. We attempted to take our 1 year old and his cousin to the zoo one day but went after their nap times--so by the time we got there, the zoo was closed. We didn't realize it closed so early. I also didn't realize it's as hot there as you say--it's too bad they don't have more shade. Maybe that will happen when they move to their future location.

I'm with you on cooking seafood in the condo/house you stay in. That's much better than taking toddlers and kids out and having to wait so long for tables. Plus, you usually save a lot of money and get better quality food. I'm glad you enjoyed Southern hospitality--we are usually a pretty friendly bunch and love to talk!

2. Re: Trip Report: July 15-21

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 14:29