We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds so far this summer?

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Crowds so far this summer?

I was reading the Florida threads and noticed one about the crowds in Destin this summer seeming to be down a bit. I wondered if anyone can comment on the crowds in GS so far. I know it's still early into the summer and probably changes from week to week. I'm just curious as to whether those who live there, have visited already, or who are there now are noticing fewer people on beaches, shorter waits in resturants, etc. I'll be there in mid-July and am counting down the days!! Thanks!

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

We just got back today,

It seems to me that the crowds are down..

We always eat at off hours between lunch and dinner,

WE Never had to waiT at all,

Lu lu's ,tacky jacks, shrimp basket,

Not crowded at all,

The condo seemed to not be all booked,

No traffic problems at all.

Most cars we saw were from alabama, missouri,texas,ark

If I had to guess, I would say less travelers because of fuel prices,

The weather was great, ocean perfect,

Big waves...

Newburgh, Indiana
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

My husband and I just got back from GS yesterday. We were there for a week and really found no crowds at all. The beach didn't seem crowded, we were never in heavy traffic and because there was just two of us, we got right into resturants as well. My guess could be because of the gas prices as well as to why it wasn't very crowded.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

Hi fordarama, Thanks for replying! It sounds like you had a great trip down there--I'm feeling very jealous right now when I read about the waves!

That's nice to hear about the crowds and traffic not being as bad. When you say you didn't wait at Lulu's, that makes me think the crowds are WAY down--ha, ha! I wonder if fewer people will travel as much this summer with gas being so high.

When you say you didn't have waits at all those restaurants, were you still going during the "off" times? My husband and I used to do that but with a toddler, our schedule has changed a bit. We still try to go out early for lunch and dinner but we don't always get out of the house as quickly as we'd like! Plus, we have to be mindful of whether he's hungry or not--it's much easier to eat out with him when he's hungry too! We'll be staying in Ft. Morgan, so we have to account for driving time as well.

My parents are going with us and had wanted to try Lulu's last summer (July) when we were all there but it was always too crowded. Maybe they'll get their chance this year. Thanks again for your reply.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

Smileygirl, Just saw your reply--thank you! It sounds like your trip was a good one as well. That's great to hear that you didn't have to wait in restaurants and that traffic was light as well. I would love it to be this way when we go in July! Thanks again!!

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

We even drove past bahama bobs around 6-ish and there was parkiong spots and no lines...

We always ate at between 2:30 to 5:00

Before there were always people in line,

So , My guess less people.,...

I belong to a branson missouri forum and they say the crowds there are down as well.......

What will next year be like then???

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

Hi again Fordarama,

Thanks for getting back to me about the times. I think we could pull off eating an early dinner or two! That's interesting about Branson as well...it does make me wonder if things will slow down even more as this summer progresses. I am thankful we can still go this year! I've been looking forward to this GS trip since we got back last year.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

Lee4,

It may be down some, but rentals are going pretty strong. I think we're seeing fewer people from MO, IL and IN than in previous years and I agree that it's probably gas prices. If you go to Lulu's, buy a t shirt and tip heavily...especially the cute little blonde in the gift shop (my daughter). :)

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

Too funny dd992emo--I'll try to keep a lookout for her! I would kind of like to go to Lulu's this year; it's been over 3 years since we've been there. That last time we were there, I was just convinced that Jimmy would pop up at any moment and sing for us!!

We tried it out a few years ago--pre-baby. We went during a really off peak time and got in with no problems. We went back later that same week and did have a bit of a wait for dinner. I know there's the sand area/playground there for kids, so that could be somewhat helpful if we had to wait. Of course, toddlers tend to move quickly from one thing to the next--so a long wait is never that good for us!

We're staying on Ft. Morgan, so I know crowds won't be a problem out there at all. I think my one "issue" (not a problem, really) with being on Ft. Morgan is the drive to get back into Gulf Shores when we want to eat out or shop. Like I said before, everything is just a little more complicated with a little one since you have to account for naps, eating times, etc. Other than that, we love being out there--it's so uncrowded and just wonderful! Can you tell I'm ready to go????

st. louis
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

we are heading down friday. i guess i'm excited about not waiting for a table at lu lu's, but i guess the economy just isn't very good altogether. we are also from missouri and went to the lake of the ozarks last weekend. the family we went with have a condo and the parking lot was half full, the lake was much less congested than normal and a few new restaurants that they took us too, we went right in and were seated. they said in previous months they were lined out the door. i guess it is hitting everywhere.

Alabama
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowds so far this summer?

dd - we are headed down June 30th and have never been to LuLu's, but I think we will give it a shot - tell your daughter to be on the lookout for a tall out of shape man with 2 beautiful kids!