We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Louis to Gulf Shores

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. Louis to Gulf Shores

Just wondering what the best route is from St. Louis to Gulf Shores? My husband and I have mapped it on yahoo maps, but I was just wondering what routes others took that traveled from or through St. Louis. Thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

carrieoke5,

we are north of you, and there are 3 main ways to get to Gulf Shores from St. Louis. We have driven all 3 ways, and have found the best, (and most scenic), is the route suggested by mapquest. I-55 to I-155 to Dyersburg, TN, US-412, TN-20E, US-45S, AL-158E, I-65S, I-165S, I-10E, AL-59S to Gulf Shores. Look it up. Others will have their own route. Have fun, and good luck!

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

Thanks! Do you know how long it takes for that route? We will actually be driving to Daytona Beach for a week first and then to Gulf Shores. Then we will be coming home from Gulf Shores and that's why I was wondering. When I used the yahoo map I can't remember the route, (it was through Mississippi) and it was almost 13 hours. I will definitely check out your route.....thanks soooo much....I appreciate it! : )

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

We always took the route through Mississippi before we moved down here. Took about 11 hours.

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

Oh yeah and I am 1 1/2 hours from St. Louis so that's also why my travel time is coming up longer.

mo
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

I'm checking on that route too. We are leaving from just south of St Louis, about 1 1/2 hrs. Mapquest is showing me it's about 630 miles, about 11 hrs. Anybody know of any good scenic stops, or things to do on the way down. We will be traveling w/ a family group that includes 4 small kids, and a teenager. Thinking about driving 1/2 way or so, stopping to do some sightseeing(if there is much) then finishing the rest of the drive the next day.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

tjfrancis,

Which route are you talking about?

mo
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

Mapquest route: Cape Girardeau, MO to Dyersburg, TN, to 45-S through Tupelo and Meridian MS. Does that sound right? Shows about 630 miles, 10 hrs 40min

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

Yeah I think that's the route that we got from yahoo maps. We are probably going to have to stop halfway or so too and spend the night somewhere. We are traveling with 3 kids (14,7,2).

mo
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

When are you going, we are going 2nd week of June. We're so excited. The kids first trip to the beach, 2 and 7. Any ideas on what to do or where to stop on the way down?

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Louis to Gulf Shores

We are actually leaving on June 19th and driving halfway to Daytona Beach and staying in a hotel. Then we are going to be in Daytona June 20-27. We will come to Gulf Shores on the 27th and be heading back home on June 30th but will probably have to stop and stay somewhere instead of driving straight through.

Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores
Recent Conversations