We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wireless internet service

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chrisinconwayAR
6 posts
Save Topic
Wireless internet service

Last year my family made our first trip to Gulf Shores and it was truly a vacation.

We are headed back down in late June. However, this time I will have to bring the laptop and do a little work while vacationing. While I was able to "mooch" some bandwith from other wireless routers around our condo last year to e-mail some pics to relatives, this year I will need a more reliable connection. I recall picking up a network that appeared designed for vacationers that you could purchase access to for the week, but I can't recall the name of it.

Can anyone fill me in on such service? Is it worth the money? Fast connection? Or should I just get up before my wife and son do and hit one of the local coffee shops with free WiFi?

Just curious what a person does that stays in a VRBO condo with no internet access.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wireless internet service

Chris,

The service is Neighborhood Networks. I used it for a week last year from an Orange Beach condo and had good service. I don't recall the rate, but it didn't seem too high.

There are a lot of places in the area with WiFi connections. Here is a list that the tourism office provides - gulfshores.com/travel-tools/…wireless.aspx

chrisinconwayAR
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wireless internet service

Carol,

That's the one I was thinking of. Thank you for the prompt response.

Can't wait to get back to the beach!

Cajun Country
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wireless internet service

We stay in San Carlos rented through VRBO - and the whole building has internet. Had no problem using it while we were there.

st. louis
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wireless internet service

I think we usually pay about $30 or $40 for the week through the service brought into many of the condos. But I noticed when looking on VRBO that many units had free broadband. I am not sure if that is because they are being individually rented or if you go through BR or Meyers, maybe it is a way to make and extra buck or two. But I always inquire about this before booking in a particular condo.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wireless internet service

I'm wondering if this Neighborhood Networks is available out on Ft. Morgan too? My family has been staying out there the past 2 summers in houses and neither had internet access. This year, we're staying at a condo in Orange Beach that has it, but I'm interested in case we go back with Ft. Morgan next summer. Thank you!

6. Re: Wireless internet service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 06:22