We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

Wondering if anyone has opinions about the best route from St. Louis or Missouri or Memphis area? We came down through Tennessee last year and then down Highway 45 into Mississippi through Tupelo, Meridian and then on into Alabama. I did not like this way because I felt like there weren't a lot of "big" places to stop - just country type gas stations that were sometimes five miles off the main road. We went home through Nashville and that was better but wondering if anyone has gone a different way that they liked and if so, a good town/city to stop for an overnight at a motel? KCMO1, how did you go down from KC? As always, any input is appreciated!!

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

Before we moved down here we lived in St Charles. We always took I-55 to Jackson, then Hwy 49 to Hattiesburg and got on Hwy 98 to Mobile, then to Gulf Shores. From Jackson to GS there is a large town at least every 100 miles.

Kansas City, Mo.
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

There's no real easy way from KC. We went south from here to Springfield, then over to Memphis through Jonesboro. From Memphis, went over to Tupelo, then straight down to Mobile and Gulf Shores (the way you went last time).

On the way back, we went from Mobile over to Jackson, then hooked up with I-55 in Jackson and took that to Memphis.

I can't say that we preferred one way over the other. Timing was almost equal. Being on I-55 was nice on the way back, with rest stops and gas stations right off the highway and all. It was also easier to get through Memphis that way. The route on the way there was prettier however.

Hope this helps!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

i guess it all depends where you live in st. louis. my profile says st. louis, but i actually live in illinois.

we go through nashville and that route because it is closer for us, and faster, however once we went through st. louis the way dd992emo described and that would probably be the best route for you as far as time goes.

we drive straight through and it takes about 12 hours.

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

We've tried several ways, and dd992emo's suggestion is best.

We've tried taking 49 out of Hattiesburg to Gulfport MS and then I-10 across Mobile Bay, which may have been a slightly easier drive, but took maybe 20 minutes longer than getting on 98 out of Hattiesburg.

Many map sites take you on state highway 45 through most of Mississippi, but you are out in the middle of nowhere without many options for gas, food, restrooms, we didn't like that route at all. Plus...the AL stretch of 45 into Mobile (about 40 miles) is 2 lane highway; not enjoyable at all.

Bethalto IL
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

we just got home yesterday, we went down on 55 and then I think 45, and so on into Gulf Shores. We didnt like that way at all, we were gonna overnight in Dyersberg, then thought we could just make it to Jackson, couldn't find a hotel there so we got stuck in some little unknown, ratty hotel, but it was 1 am and we needed to stop. Also when we arrived into Gulf Shores it took us 2 hours to go about 20 miles! When we left Saturday morning we took the Foley Beach Express, I highly reccomend that, it was a few mile out of the way, but NO traffic, it is a toll, but well worth the 3.00. We also cam home thru Nashville, I prefer that way, much nicer stops along the way, and also very nice rest areas. Good Luck!

MISSISSIPPI
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

WHAT are you looking for when you stop. Why "big place" ? I drive this road every couple of weeks and it is so easy. I have no need to get 5 miles off hwy 45 ...I have came up I65 from Mobile to Louisville, now that was a long boring trip. Did you really drive from Mobile to Nashville then take I40 to I55 ????? How long did that take ?

jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

Best route from St Louis would be to follow the advice from dd992emo. Nice and easy drive south on I55 to Jackson then 45 into Hattisburg, picking up hwy 98 into Mobile, I65 south to I10 east to hwy 59 south into Gulf Shores. Depending on which part of the beach you elect to stay on, Gulf Shores or Orange Beach, you may elect to pick up the Beach Express into the beach area.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

Just to clarify from the previous post...the road from Jackson, MS to Hattiesburg is Hwy 49, not Hwy 45.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

Thanks for all of these directions. We live in Meridian and usaully we go Hwy 19S to Hwy 43 to Thomasville and from there to the interestate where we go the Bay Minette way since we like to avoid Mobile. We go this way because we are from the crossroads area of Hwy 19 and 53.in Alabama. We've been wondering how best to go if we went through Mississippi instead and if it would be any faster.

Gladbrook
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route from St. Louis/Missouri?

We are snowbirds and maybe traffic is different that time of year. We live in Iowa and go to St. Louis, then thru Tennessee, stay night in Dyersburg or Jackson. We think 45 is fantastic....no traffic. Cut across on 158 to 65. Then we go on the Bay Bridge (avoid the tunnel and traffic). End up in Spanish Fort. Then you take either 10 or 90. We prefer 90. We have been coming down so many years that we cut off on small roads and end up way down coming on 59 off #10 or #6. We do NOT like Nashville (out of way) and by going on 45 we miss Memphis, Jackson, MS etc.