We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO vs agency rental

midwest
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
VRBO vs agency rental

I have never went through VBRO but am considering it. Any advice? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using each?

We are looking at coming down in October.

thank you

tonie

se kansas
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO vs agency rental

We have always used vrbo. We've been coming to the area for 7 years now. When checking prices vrbo always seemed to be cheaper with no hidden fees like the realty companies. Check out the surfside shores neighborhood in Fort Morgan on vrbo. We (or friends) have stayed at all the houses in that area at one time or another and have never been let down.

Cajun Country
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO vs agency rental

We have rented from VRBO for over 8 years. The advantages are great deals & in my opinion better service. I always feeling lacking when I rent from the big companies.

Disadvantages - some don't take credit card. We just rented from VRBO for our Vegas trip & they take credit card through paypal, but I had to pay a 4%service fee - not bad.

Another disavantage - some of the people don't respond to my emails requesting info but I think it's their loss.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
108 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO vs agency rental

We always rent through vrbo, and then this year when we bought a condo at Orange Beach, we list ours on vrbo. I agree, it is definitely cheaper!

Starkville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO vs agency rental

I'm always checking prices and for us have never found vrbo to be cheaper! We used vrbo once. The owners were great and very nice and the condo was nice. However we had trouble getting into the condo and tried calling them several times and couldn't get anybody. They lived in Gulf Shores so we thought that this wouldn't be a problem. Thankfully we were finally able to get into the condo and everything was fine. For us though, we would rather use an agency so if something goes wrong we can get ahold of someone immediately. Even if it cost us a little more we feel more comfortable doing this. When the sink was leaking in our condo one time we called Youngs and they sent someone there in like 10 minutes to fix it. I'm sure you will have fun however you choose!

Gulf Shores, AL
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO vs agency rental

The prices may be a bit higher with a management company but not always and you can ask them to match a rate that you've found on VRBO. Most of the VRBO owners are remote and may not be able to service complaints as readily. Also if the property is out of order for some reason will they have a comparable property to move you to?

Starkville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO vs agency rental

That's right Irie. I forgot to mention that. Most places do the 7 nights for the price of 5 thing. As repeat customers at Youngs we get 25% off. Look for deals on their webpages and you might find even more then that. YOungs was just doing a 35% off thing for condos for the rest of Aug. My mom told me that Bretts had dropped the prices from the last time she looked. The most important thing is to do your research and see what the best deal is that you can get and also what you feel most comfortable with.

Arkansas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO vs agency rental

Used VRBO this time and never will again. Condo looked much better in pictures than in reality. Owner didn't do what she said she would. We'll never make this mistake again.

8. Re: VRBO vs agency rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores