We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to GS and need help

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TXJ
Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to GS and need help

We usually go to Fl, but decided we would like to try something new. We here your beaches are great. We are traveling with another family. We are in need of advice for a place to stay. The choices are overwhelming. I have been looking on homeaway and VRBO. So many to pick from. We want a 3 bedroom and at least 2 bath. We are still trying to decide between house or condo. We want to be beach front. The houses that are beach front in our price range look pretty worn on the inside. However, we love the idea of a beach that isn't so crowded. The condo's in our range look great, but we aren't thrilled with the idea of hauling everything down the elevator. I also worry about crowds. That is the thing we don't like about Desin. SOOOO many people on the beach. Looking in the $2000 range for a week. Any suggestions of condo's that aren't so large that you feel like a sardine on the beach? Which area is best to stay east or west? Sorry for all the questions. We are just trying to book before all the good places are gone! Thanks in advance for your help!!

texarkana, tx
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to GS and need help

We also used to go to Destin and fight the crowds. Now we are thankful we found Orange Beach and it's beautiful beach. TA may yank this as advertisement but have a look at VRBO 220009. It's become our new favorite place. It's at the end of the beach close to the Fl line and still close to restaurants. You didn't say if you had children or not, but most of the families with children look for places with water features and more child friendly. Which was good for us...a little break from the kiddos is good sometimes! Anyway, the condo is great and we will certainly be back. We have stayed from Panama City Beach, all the way up to Perdido Key, and just over the line was everything we were looking for! Good luck. I know how overwhelming it can be to search.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to GS and need help

My family goes to the GS/OB area frequently and I can understand feeling overwhelmed with all the choices. There are lots of beach houses out on Ft. Morgan, and the prices are sometimes a bit lower for houses out there (sometimes, not always). The good thing about Ft. Morgan is that it is not crowded at all, so you can get the beach all to yourself. The bad thing about Ft. Morgan is that it's a drive back into GS/OB (at least 20 to 30 minutes or more depending on where you want to go), and that can get to be a pain if you want to get back into town frequently. There are no grocery stores out on Ft. Morgan either, so again, you have to plan accordingly to get what you need in GS.

We've also stayed in some condos in the area and last summer rented a 3 bedroom/3 bath condo at Harbour Place in OB. We loved it b/c it was a low rise condo (5 floors) so the beach area was never crowded. The elevators could be slow at times and it is more work to haul stuff up and down from the beach since you have to use stairs or elevators. The building has a pool, with part of it indoors and there are restrooms by the pool. We really liked the condo and the area we were in--very close to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. It was nice to be so close to things and not have the drive from Ft. Morgan.

Good luck in planning your trip and please let me know if I can answer any questions for you!

TXJ
Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to GS and need help

Thank you both for the info. We really liked the condo on VRBO that you gave the info too. We also found one at Harbour Place that we are checking in to. The only worries about the Harbour Place is that it is on the 5th floor, but it has everything we need. We eat out most nights on vacation. Are there a good selection of places in either of the areas? I haven't located either on a map yet. That is my next thing to try tonight. Off to Google and Bing land!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to GS and need help

There are lots and lots of restaurants in both GS and OB and it's quick and easy to drive to them. If you're like the rest of us, you'll find yourself driving back and forth between both cities and hardly notice when you're out of one and in another. We've had lots of good meals at The Original Oyster House, the Wagon Wheel, the Shrimp Basket, and our favorite thing to do is order steamed crab legs and boiled shrimp rom one of the local seafood markets and bring those back to our condo or house and eat--much better than any of the restaurants, in my opinion.

We stayed in the 3bd/3bath unit on the 5th floor at Harbour Place and really enjoyed it. It's updated nicely, is very clean, well organized (has everything you could possibly need in the kitchen), has beach toys and chairs, and is also really comfortable. We did have to wait for the elevators at times, but I think that happens at any of the places with elevators. It was nice being on the top floor so that we didn't have lots of noise coming from any units above us. We did sometimes hear a bit of noise from units near ours but I'm sure our kids were noisey at times too!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to GS and need help

You didn't mention when you would be coming. That would be very important for us DEs to give you a recommendation. Also, are you bringing kids? Ages? Do you like to "be near the action" or have the beaches to yourselves? The more info you give us, the better the recommendation we can make. Thanks!

nashville
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to GS and need help

We like going to Gulf shoers every year and would always stay in a condo

until a family member tolds us about a beautiful private home with a private pool vrbo 209817.We stayed there and had a wonderful time.

If your looking for plenty of elbow room this is the house for you.

good luck on finding the perfect vacation spot.

casper2

TXJ
Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to GS and need help

We are coming mid June. There will be 4 adults and 3 children. We found a place that was perfect at Harbour Place, but it got booked the night before we contacted the owners. It was perfect. So the search is on again. We have decided we don't want an empty beach. We all like to people watch. However, we don't want a packed "Destin" like beach either. We are open to anything in the GS/OB area. We just don't want to drive 20-30 minutes to get to the restaurants. I appreciate all the advice you all have been sending. Great forum!

TXJ
Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to GS and need help

I forgot to put the ages of the kids....12 and 7

TXJ
Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to GS and need help

What about the Marlin Key or Dolphin Key? Any thoughts about that area?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to GS and need help

No matter where you stay in GS or OB you won't be more than a 15 minute drive to any restaurant in either town, at the most. If you want to go to Pensacola that's about a 30-40 minute drive.