We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone still committed to going in July ??

cincinnati
11 posts
Save Topic
Anyone still committed to going in July ??

We are scheduled to be in Gulf Shores for the week of July 4th. I keep reading all the post for current conditions and was just wondering if anyone is still planning on going in July.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

We are scheduled to go June 26 through the 2. Right now I'm trying to figure out how we can cancel and get out money back.

I really have NO faith in BP to get this stopped before the relief well is dug in August. I hate to be such a pessimist, but I'm trying to be realistic. I hate to "bail" on the Gulf Shores community, but we spent $4000 for a beach house plus $1800 in airfare....... which is a once in a lifetime trip for us. My husband and I postponed our 10 year anniversary trip to the Virgin Islands to go on this trip with our family (we never took a honeymoon so were looking forward to a trip).

I'm just sick.

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

We're coming down June 27th-July 1st, and we're still going to go. I know it was a hard decision for my family, but we already paid for our condo and I don't think we will get our money back unless the beach has closed. There are other things to do, but I agree with Lucille, it is so sad and sickening that this has happen and I'm afraid it will take a long time for the gulf coast to recover.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
311 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

Our extended family (over 20 adults and kids) is sharing a beach house in Gulf Shores starting June 19th. As with the earlier poster, we've decided to go ahead because we probably would not be able to get our money back if we decided to back out now. We're trying to look on the bright side but it makes me sick to my stomach. Seriously, no one can figure out how to plug this damn hole? This is America, a country filled with the best and the brightest and you're telling me this is the best they can come up with? Honestly, I am so angry.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

Arrogance + incompetency = oil spill.......

We found out today we can transfer our airfare no penalty, but Meyer is still holding out. The PR damage they are doing to their organization and the area is a shame.

houston
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

we have plans to be there july 10th we just dont know what do to, i thought some kind of progess to stop the leak would have been made by the time we get there, but now i think...not so much! we are so disssapointed, anybody have any alternate vacation suggestions if we are able to get our money back from kaiser?

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
93 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

mghrt, we cancelled, were supposed to stay June 30th - July 3rd. Meyer offered a brief opportunity to get a full refund (minus $35 and trip insurance) so we took advantage. Thanks to this board for letting us know it was available before they shut the door on it. We re-scheduled to go to Myrtle Beach, Garden City Beach area. Went there a few years ago, reminds us a bit of Gulf Shores, the water ain't as blue though and the beaches are not as pretty, but it is a beach and satisfies 75% of our needs. Check out that board if you are looking for a new destination. Next year back to Gulf Shores!!

Metropolis, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

mghrt123--we are looking into the atlantic side of florida, ga, sc. There are still several places available -we need at least 6 bedrooms, which will be harder to find. Good luck.

Missouri
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

We are scheduled to arrive for four days on July 16th. I don't know whether to cancel now or wait longer. I just really don't know what to do.

We live so far from the coast and have booked a beach front condo so I don't think we will want to come if the beaches are closed.

I haven't heard anything from the lady from whom we are renting the condo.

It's all very sad.

I will just keep watching the daily updates.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

Do know, for those who are going to the east coast,,

That oil is getting into the gulf stream and oil will go on the beaches of the east coast...

So....be mindful of that ..

Michigan lakes are so much like the ocean,,,

Look into that if you want safe beach time, with no oil worries,,

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone still committed to going in July ??

I heard that too that the oil could go to the Atlantic side, so sad and plus its hurricance season now..........................

Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores
Recent Conversations