We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

Sherman, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

Live just North of Dallas. Map Quest shows 11.5 hours. Can anyone verify if this is correct? Not sure if we will drive straight through or stop along the way?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

We do Tyler to Fairhope in 9 hrs routinely. 11 -plus sounds good. We go to Jackson to Hattiesburg to Biloxi to Mobile to beach. ( do not take 98 to Mobile!!!!---no need)

Cheapest gas south of Jackson in Richland Ms, Look for Walmart for gas and supplies.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g30582-i174-k45490…

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

Felschurch may be correct but I have been going to GS for over 40 years and I went by way of Biloxi once. Never again. # 98 is the best route. It's 4 lane and no traffic to speak of. Good luck.

Sherman, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

Yes, 11 and half hours is realistic from the North Dallas area to Gulf Shores (of course it depends on how often you stop and when you go through Mobile - try to avoid it at rush hour). My family did this last week. We stopped on the way back just north of Jackson and stayed the night since we had a late start home which was actually nice for us since we did not have to hurry back. Gulf Shores was great. Have fun.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

If you're coming down during the summer and arriving on a Saturday, be prepared to add some time to your drive. Saturdays are truly horrible around here--took us 12 hours from Little Rock, and the last 3 were b/c we were stuck coming into Alabama on 2 lane highways, then stuck in Mobile trying to get through the tunnel, then stuck crossing the bay, and then stuck on I-10 b/c of a wreck. It was miserable--we sometimes took 45 minutes to move 2 to 4 miles. I'm trying to prepare myself right now for our trip out of here in the morning.

If there is any way you can arrive on a day other than Saturday (and probably Sunday) in the summer, you'll be so much better off. It's wonderful once you're here, but driving from Mississippi into AL is the pits (once you actually get into AL and head towards Gulf Shores). Or, spend the night somewhere close and make your drive into GS in the morning, so that maybe you can avoid some of the mess. Good luck!

Sherman, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

I keep hearing about this tunnel, any way to avoid it? I will be coming through on Sunday around 4pm. I will be leaving on Thurdsay around 8am.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

You are going the right direction at 4 on Sun for the tunnel--traffic going west into Mobile. At 8 on Thurs you will have morning traffic into Mobile but very doable. Good choices!!!

As you go east on I-10 coming to the beach, stay in the middle lane from 65 to the tunnel==far left lane disappears near the tunnel and the far right lane has entry traffic right at the tunnel--you will go thru the tunnel in the remaining left lane--slow at the tunnel when you seee the flashing lights

You could avoid the tunnel but not worth the effort--unless it is blocked!!!!

Local radio station 99.9 gives good traffic reports

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

You can avoid the tunnel by getting off at Canal Street and crossing the # 90 bridge then hook back up with I 10 when you cross the bridge. But the tunnel is no problem unless there's a wreck and they had about 65/70 there last year. Don't worry about it. Chances are you will go through the tunnel easily. The Battleship Alabama and museum is worth the stop when you cross Mobile Bay. Good luck.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

Sounds like your timing will serve you well as far as the Mobile area and tunnel goes--you will be avoiding the common check-in times on Saturday and Sunday. Good for you!!

We actually left Perdido Key yesterday morning at 9:00 and had no problems getting to or through the tunnel. Our drive home was much better than our drive to the beach, thank goodness!

We did have a wreck happen right next to us on the bay bridge (before entering the tunnel). Traffic slowed down and a mini-van rear-ended an SUV in the left lane. We were literally right next to them and saw it all but had to keep moving in order to avoid more wrecks. It was so scary! I felt terrible for those involved but was also thankful that we did not get stuck behind them. I say all this to let people know to watch WAY ahead of you on the bridge and in the tunnel area; lots of starts and stops and it's easy for wrecks to occur.

10. Re: Dallas to Gulf Shores.....Realistic time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores
Recent Conversations