We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live trip report - Day 1, Oct. 1

Level Contributor
161 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Live trip report - Day 1, Oct. 1

Hello everyone!

I am sharing our vacation in hopes that it will help others when visiting Gulf Shores. We arrived in GS at about 5 pm today. We are staying at Crystal Shores West. We rented from Young's Suncoast. They were very nice. Our past experiences have been in Orange Beach. Our condo is really nice and the beach is beautiful. The water looks like glass. We ate at Doc's Seafood Shack in Orange Beach. We have eaten there before, and knew how good it was. It did not disappoint. You have to get over the way the place looks. It looks like a rundown shack. The shrimp is outstanding! They have all you can eat fish for $12.95 and the fish is really good...large pieces. After dinner we stopped at a Publix to get some groceries. The prices were very high. I wish we had found a Walmart instead. Well, that's it for day 1. I will try to update for day 2 later.

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live trip report - Day 1, Oct. 1

Over the years I've gone to the Walmart several times in Gulf Shores. The 2 times we went last summer the store was almost unshoppable -- very messy and out of stock on many items we wanted to buy plus most of the registers were closed. Even with 10 - 15 people in line, the store wouldn't open more registers.

I'm willing to pay a little more at Publix for a clean, well stocked store with employees who will help you find what you need and to not have to stand in line for 20 minutes or more to get checked out.

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your vacation with us day by day.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live trip report - Day 1, Oct. 1

We were just down there and wal mart in the off season is pretty well empty.

Well stocked .

I would avoid the shrimp basket , their food the past three times has been not near as good as in the past.

Try the tin top for great food, and calypso joes was really good last week while we were there.

Level Contributor
469 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live trip report - Day 1, Oct. 1

Good start to your vacation. Always enjoy hearing visitors input. Was in Walmart Gulf Shores the other day, not busy and well stocked. There's a new Walmart grocery in Orange Beach. Hope you have a great stay.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live trip report - Day 1, Oct. 1

Publix is down the road from me (plus they have a Blockbuster Express kiosk) so I'm partial to them but never had a problem with the GS Wal-Mart...

Cajun Country
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live trip report - Day 1, Oct. 1

What about the Wal-mart closest to the beach, near the T, that one is always clean.

6. Re: Live trip report - Day 1, Oct. 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 14:16