We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to eat?

Lewisport, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to eat?

We have been to Gulf Shores before, but have only eaten at Lulu's, Desotos, Mikee's, and the Originial Oyster House. We didn't really like the Oyster House and I am puzzled by the good reviews - maybe we ate there on an off night?? Is it worth another try? Also, where else would you recommend?

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
484 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to eat?

In Gulf Shores I'd recommend City Grill and West Street Grill. If you don't mind traveling a couple of miles, in Orange Beach there's Cosmo's, Cobalt, Shipps Harbor Grill, Zen, Villaggio and Ginny Lane (the last two at the Wharf).

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to eat?

Ships harbor and a couple of the others are a bit more ritzy in their food,,

Try tin top in bon secur ...not much to look at, and I recommend the indoor seating, instead of the outdoor,,,,but their food is really good...shrimp are huge

Also when you tire of sea food , give kittys cafe a chance,,,,the locals love it..

We also liked Flippers in orange beach,,,,beautiful setting on a marina,,,

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to eat?

We love the Oyster House. Never had a bad meal there. Must have been an off night. I also like King Neptune's and the Shrimp Basket for a small, casual option.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to eat?

Wow--Dbh2--we are 3 for 3 with you. Been eating at Oyster House (in the off season) for 20 years (?)

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to eat?

For the money the Shrimp Basket is the best fried shrimp. Great Cole slaw. Drinks are not bad.

I like Lulu's but more for the atmosphere than the food. If you can get a seat on the inland water way about dusk. Nice wind good temp's even on a hot day. Food is not that bad.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to eat?

I noticed that the Shrimp Basket has shrimp slaw with their meals. Can somebody explain exactly what that is?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to eat?

Cole slaw with diced boiled shrimp mixed in ....mmmmm good

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to eat?

My experiences match yours, yellowwafer. I've never understood why anyone would wait an hour or more to eat at the Oyster House. They have just expanded the place, and I haven't been since the remodel, but it never makes my top list.

The Shrimp Basket is consistently good and with the addition of the grilled fish of the day (usually Snapper) I think they are better than Mikees now (even though they are owned by the same people). Slight correction on Felschurch's description of the shrimp slaw (at least at the Gulf Shores location). While I agree it is mmmm mmmm good, the shrimp aren't diced or chopped, they are just small shrimp. The amount of shrimp in a serving varies rather widely from time to time, so you might get several, but at other times not even one. I personally like the Oyster Po Boys and steamed platters (oyster & shrimp).

While I agree with many of CTSnowbird's recommendations, I do disagree with West Beach Grill. I know a lot of snow birds like it there (we saw lots of them there in Jan and Feb., but I found the service poor and the food really pedestrian to down right awful. If I want a slider, I'll wait until I'm back in White Castle territory and a zillion "types"of wings that all taste the same, well, there are many more places to go..

So, before I recommend my favs, it would be helpful to know what you are looking for? Fancy? Down home? Seafood? Vegetarian (something rather hard to come by at some places).

A new place that I wouldn't recommend is the Sassy Bass.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 04:14
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to eat?

Wow. Y'all must have gone on a bad night. Never had a bad meal at Original Oyster House and they have the best gumbo

Bahama Bob's is another good restaurant and right on the beach

I'll second Kitty's Kafe. Great place

Foley, Alabama
Level Contributor
304 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to eat?

Hello yellowwafer --- You've been offered some great restaurant suggestions.

There are also some that weren't mentioned that I'd recommend.

Like indygem suggested, it would be best to first learn of your preferences and price range.

I (just today) learned of a pretty neat feature on TripAdvisor (I cannot believe I never utilized it before today) where I typed in "Best Places to Eat" where it says "Gulf Shores Forum" just above your post and hit the magnifying glass.

Several pages came up but I was specifically looking for a recent post with a different title that included several pages of discussion about favorite restaurants.

The discussion even led to "Best Steaks" in the area.

You may enjoy reading it: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g30582-i174-k54205…

Now, if I can only rrecall how to save it for future reference ...