We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

We'll be in Gulf Shores in less than 2 weeks and are staying in a condo on West Beach Boulevard, about 1 1/2 miles from the T (I think :). I'm training for the Chicago Marathon and can't afford to take a week off of running, so as much as I'll hate to do it - I have to get some runs in while I'm on vacation. Is there anywhere good to run near our condo? And by good I mostly mean safe - room to run without worry of getting hit by a car or having to cross busy streets. If not, I may have to find a nearby gym and get a daypass. Any recommendations?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

You're in an ideal location. Just continue west on West Beach Blvd and you should have about 4 or 5 miles of West Beach Blvd until you get to Laguna Key. Very light traffic down at that end of Beach Blvd, but the road is plenty wide enough for runners and cyclists.

Another option would be to go to Gulf State Park and run the bike trails. You can google that for a trail map.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

The perfect place to train would be the Backcountry Trails that connect Gulf State Park to Orange Beach. Miles and miles of paved, scenic trails and no motorized vehicles are allowed. There is even a rest house with bathrooms located in the middle. Drive by any of the 3 trail heads and get a trail map to plan the distance and route you would like to run.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

Perfect! If I like the look of West Beach Boulevard I'll just stick with that, nice and easy right out the condo door. But here at home, I usually run on trails and LOVE THEM! So I'll definitely check out the trails around Gulf State Park. Thank you so much!

Jenks, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
132 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

Definitely check out the trails at least once. They really are nice (well except maybe rattlesnake road :) )

St. Thomas
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

i agree tulsacubfan

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

Here's some back country trails.

Back Country Trails..........

obparksandrec.com/parkstrails/backcountrytra…

http://www.alapark.com/gulfstate/Trails/

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

Sooo.... does anybody have a favorite trail? Is one of those back country trails more scenic than the others? If I run only one, which should it be? :)

Jenks, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
132 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

I liked Twin Bridges probably the best - although they were all nice.

I would recommend not running Cotton Bayou though - it is still gravel (although a park ranger said it will eventually be paved). We enjoyed biking it (we had our mountain bikes with us) but I don't think I would like to run it!

Edited: 27 June 2012, 15:28
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

Good to know! Thanks Tulsa!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attention Runners: Where Can I Run?

dont know how long you'll be there and how many times you want to run, but if you are looking to change it up, and/or want to meet up & train with a running club, there are a couple of them in the area that are pretty active. They will host several halfs, 5Ks, etc. throughout the year, but usually not in July.

They do, however meet up and run in Fairhope, I think.

check out:

www.bayarearunners.com

www.pcpacers.org

Good Luck....

MIller

Edited: 29 June 2012, 05:28