We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LuLu's?

Alabama
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
LuLu's?

Is there a good time or day to visit LuLu's without a ridiculous wait?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LuLu's?

Are you with a large or small group? With or without kids?

I ask because if you are just a 2-4 people with no kids, then you can eat at the bar. We've always been able to just walk in and find a seat at the bar, even during the height of tourist season.

If you do want to sit at a table inside, then a time that seems to be slower is Saturdays around 2 PM. The folks that are coming in early to have lunch before checking in are pretty much done and things are cleared out a bit before the dinner crown hits. An added bonus is that there is an art market from 12- 5 PM on Saturdays that is small, but fun.

In general it seems that Mondays seems a little slower than other days too.

I like Lulu's a lot - but imo it (nor any of the "popular" places like the Oyster House or Hangout) are worth a 1-2 hour wait. There are so many other great places to eat in Gulf Shores. I encourage you to check out the reviews on the restaurant tab -- and just go to Lulu's for drinks or appetizers during the middle of the day or very late to enjoy the music and fun.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LuLu's?

"(nor any of the "popular" places like the Oyster House or Hangout) are worth a 1-2 hour wait." Amen

Alabama
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LuLu's?

Do you have any favorites?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LuLu's?

"The Wait" can be excruciating for adults, who may find themselves intoxicated and broke from buying t-shirts by the time their little buzzer goes off. For kids it appears to be a blast. Just from driving over the bridge it looks like 2 - 4 PM on weekdays is one of the less crowded periods.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LuLu's?

I tend to agree with dd992 that the wait at Lulu's can be excruciating for adults. Thankfully they serve liquor. I take my children there a lot because I can have a few drinks with friends at the bar out back and the kids can run around and hula hoop and play in the sand without constant attention. The fact of life on the island during peak season is that vacationers eating out vastly outnumber the restaurants' capacities. There will be waits at nearly every restaurant. Especially during the big holidays when condos are at full capacity. The best times to get in are between or just after the standard meal times of six to nine pm for dinner and 11am to 2pm for lunch. Elli Bistro is one of the few places that I really like that I have never had to wait. Another favorite of mine is the Tin Top in Bon Secour. The majority of tourists have not found this place yet or it is too far for them to drive. But in reality it is only five miles from the T at West Beach. Jessie's in Magnolia Springs is another great restaurant which usually you can get in without much wait but the drive is a bit further. Voyagers in Perdido Beach Resort I have eaten several times with no wait even on big weekends.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LuLu's?

We always go out to eat around 2 for dinner, we rarely have to wait, and when you return back to the beach, everyone else is eating dinner and the beach is empty .. Lu lu's buys local as much as she can, and buys beef that has been feed grasses, no grain fed, no hormones. They also offer dishes for those with all kinds of allergies . We like their buffalo chicken , a wonderful sweet spicy combo. The greek salad is yummy.

Tin top is wonderful food wise, but it reminds me of the movie deliverance with the atmosphere. go at lunch hours to save $$$$ and eat indoors.

We found the outdoor tables uncomfortable and sticky , as well as it is really hot ...It doesn't have the fresh salt air coming off of the water , like other outdoor eateries .

If you tire of seafood, give kitty's cafe a chance...home cooked food

Located in the shopping center with Target.

ANd flippers in orange beach is very good..

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LuLu's?

I agree that at Lulu's it is nice to let the kids run relatively free to play in the sand and that helps with the wait -- but when little ones (and older ones too) get hungry at some point no amount of distraction will help and if you don't want them to get overtired, then timing can be everything.

One of my new favorite places is Rhythm & Ribs -- all the recent reviews have been very positive and when we were there last week (a Tuesday night 7 PM) there was no waiting. This is a kid friendly place too ($5 for a kids meal with dessert) and there is live music.

I love Elli Bistro in Pelican Place shopping center, but I don't think of it as a place for kids, at least not little ones. You can make a reservation at Elli Bistro, so that helps eliminate the waiting too.

Joey's North Shore Grill, in a strip mall on the west side of 59 just north of Pelican Place is great. You might have a small wait there at prime dinner time, but the seafood is really good.

In Foley, my favorites are Gelato Joe's (great for kids and adults - amazing desserts and Italian as well as seafood entrees). Mellow Mushroom Pizza, and if you really want the Shrimp Basket without the wait that is likely in Gulf Shores, then there is the Shrimp Basket in Foley on 59. Same great food (I love the grilled Mahi tacos and the steamed oyster/shrimp platter).

That might be more choices than what you were looking for, but they are most current favs.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 20:13
Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
76 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LuLu's?

The best time we have found is 11:00 am. We simply come off the beach throw on some shorts over our swim suits & go for lunch. Have never had to wait at that time. Wait till noon you will have to wait You could possibly get there at 5 pm & be ok but any time later look to wait in a long line.

9. Re: LuLu's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:16