We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Owasso, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

We are leaving in 42 days and I'm trying to map out the best route there. What are your suggestions??

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

The Mapquest route takes you over through Little Rock and down through the northeast corner of LA to Jackson. We took that route coming home from Russellville, AK a while back and I didn't care for it. I would just as soon take I40 to Menphis, I55 to Jackson and then through Hattiesburg and down Hwy 98 through Mobile. I'll admit my ulterior motive would be to eat at Central Barbecue in Memphis on the way! Fordarama should chime in with a solid recommendation. BTW, I grew up about 45 miles east of you. Love northeast OK!

Edited: 05 August 2012, 12:03
Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

We have tried all routes, and I personally like going to memphis over to tupelo ms, then down to mobile, and you join 1 10 right at the tunnel entrance.

It let us avoid sitting in traffic on I 10 for miles.

But, here is a slight issue from little rock to memphis, they are doing major construction on I 40 between Lr and memphis.

It has caused major delays ..

Since we live near searcy ar, we cut across to memphis, avoiding 1 40 ..

I am wondering how difficult it would be for you to take 167, to bald knob, and take 64 from bald knob to memphis. It is such an easier way to go to memphis, I looked up the distance , and it is pretty much the same distance to memphis , going to bald knob over.. as going to little rock to memphis..

There is a short cut, that you can use if you decide to go from little rock to jackson ms , via

southern ar ... You cut across at greenville ms

Right now it is 65 south to lake village. jump over to ms. hwy 1 south to 14. 14 to 61. 61 south to I 20. 20 east to 49. 49 to 98. 98 to 63 south. 63 to I 10. I 10 through the tunnel on to the coast.

We have tried all ways...

Owasso, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

Right now we are burning up and need rain. I love my NE Oklahoma though. Wouldn't trade it! But I am so ready for Gulf Shores. My parents are there right now.

Owasso, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

Thank you both so much! I want the best route there and then I think we are going to go the scenic route home. I am continually mapping and remapping. Planning and cruising all the good sounding restaurants. Any personal favorites are alway welcome! We are staying at Island Winds West. We have nothing big planned but eating and kicking back with a beverage on the beach.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

I would avoid I 40. Too much construction and lots of delays. I know folks that take the route down the W side of the MS River to Vicksburg, then on to Jackson and S on # 49 to Hattiesburg then on to GS on # 98.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

If you're looking for an idea for avoiding the Mobile tunnel, I'll share my new route with you (new to me, anyway!).

When you're on 98 (coming from the Hattiesburg way), take I-65 NORTH (instead of the usual route of I-65 South) to I-165. On 1-165, take EXIT 2--the Bay Bridge Road/Highway 90 EAST exit. Stay on Highway 90 EAST and you'll go across a big bridge that takes you over the shipping channel (you'll also go past the battleship USS Alabama). You can then look for the I-10 entrance ramp and head on to Gulf Shores. We got on I-10 right after the battleship but I think you can also stay on 90 a bit longer if you want and that might be useful if traffic is bad on 10.

Have fun on your trip!!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

I'm glad to see these directions... mapquest had us getting on the ferry and coming across to Ft. Morgan. Not really wanting to use a ferry since it we might be late arriving. Heard the ferry closes about 7ish, right?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

See my comment on 98 in the Springfield thread

9. Re: Best Route Tulsa to Gulf Shores??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 10:17