We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxing Vacation in May 2013

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
Relaxing Vacation in May 2013

Hello, my wife and I are looking for a recommendation on the best place to stay for a relaxing vacation getaway for just us two. We are 30 years old and like finding restaurants and casual bars/drinking establishments that are local to the area...hopefully with some live music.

Any recommendations on:

- Which part of the Gulf Shores to stay?

- Condos/Beach property to rent from?

- Unique Restaurants/Bars in the area?

- Must see/do things in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help. It will be our first trip to the Gulf!

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
628 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxing Vacation in May 2013

Where to stay could depend on what you are like to do. My family has stayed at several places over the past eight years. If you would like to be close to the pier and ocean front I would say Royal Palms Condo. They offer one and two bedrooms. The pro's they have sauna, steam room, indoor pool, hot tub. The outdoor pool is on the side of the condo instead of between the condo and the beach. There is also more privacy here due to the fact it connects with the State Park. The rate here is also a good value.

Who to rent from is the big question. I would say to STAY AWAY from Gulfshoresrentals.com or Gulf Shores rentals. They ripped us off last year. They offered a special then billed extra after we booked. Look at VRBO.com or Myers they are good to deal with.

Places to eat I must say LULU'S is a great place. They have live bands outside fun games and if you have to wait you can still enjoy yourself. The one thing that we also loved to do was go to Wal-Mart (turn across from the Walgreens) and get breakfast items to have on the balcony of the morning and watch the dolphin. Daylight Donuts was also a favorite place to visit for the family. We got to see peacock from the zoo who came over to take a bite. They also have a gator close.

You can also take dolphin cruise they are several places that offer this in the morning and afternoons. The Zoo was fun to take a leisure stroll through. It is worth your time and you can usually get discount if you play mini golf beside it. We also would take a 10X10 canopy tent down to the beach and just spend the day.

Hope this helps!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxing Vacation in May 2013

I think you would do well to get a condominium in or closer to Orange Beach. There are several nice condos in the area. It just depends on your budget as to what amenities you will get. They range from cookie-cutter to extravagant. Orange Beach will put you centrally located to be able to explore Gulf Shores plus surrounding area and go to Pensacola if you wanted to. Definitely check out the Flora-Bama on the state line for live music everyday. There will be live bands at over half the bars on Thursdays and weekends at the beach year round. The Bama is my favorite. Villagio, Ellie Bistro, Voyagers, Cosmo's and Sunset Cork Room are all upscale dining and each is worth visiting. One thing the beach has is an abundance of restaurants in all genres. There are some great little seafood shacks like Doc's Oyster Bar, Papa Rocco's, King Neptunes as well. If you can make it out to Pirate's Cove on Soldier's Creek it is well worth a stop for live music, swimming, drinking on a weekend day. Of historical interest, we have Fort Morgan which is a civil war fort and park in excellent condition. Also Fort Barrancas, Gaines and Dauphin are close by. There are many historic and beautiful cities in easy driving distance like Fairhope which was founded as a utopian artist community and still retains most of those elements. They have a really cool downtown and incredible arts and crafts for sale. Malbis, Point Clear and Spanish Fort also have some really interesting anti-bellum homes which some can be toured. Pensacola is very close by and has some nice restaurants and a historic walkable downtown as well. They have Cirque Du Soleil playing in November, not sure for how long though. Andrew Zimmern of the Food Network came through the area a few years ago and ate at a few Pensacola restaurants. Atlas and Chet's were both featured on "Bizarre foods". Atlas is fantastic. Pensacola NAS, the local naval air station has a world class museum and Imax dedicated to naval aviation and is free. It is worth seeing and you may even get to see the Blue Angels. NAS is their home and they regularly practice over the entire area. Enjoy your vacation and first trip to Gulf Shores.

3. Re: Relaxing Vacation in May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:18