We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Spring Break

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
College Spring Break

My friends and I are all from the Midwest and have decided to vacation in the Gulf Shores area for spring break this year. Since we aren't from the area, we were curious as to whether the West Gulf Shores area would have a higher concentration of college students over spring or Orange Beach? I was researching nightlife and the Flora-Bama bar seems quite popular, which is nearby Orange Beach (at least I think, judging from Google Maps) off of Perdido Beach Blvd. In essence, we want to know which area would have a better nightlife for college students/have the most college students in the area. Thanks!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College Spring Break

I would head to Panama City, which is not really much farther away for you. This is where most college spring breakers are and you will probably have an easier time finding a place to stay. Spring break in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach is mostly families and many condos have age restrictions (25 and older). Your best bet would be to stay near the T in Gulf Shores (close to The Hang Out and Pink Pony) or near the FloraBama on Perdido Key (Pheonix X is right next door).

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College Spring Break

I worked at the Flora-Bama for twelve years and spring break is slammed in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach with college students. The Bama will have thousands of students there, especially Thursdays through the weekends. Granted it is not Panama City, thankfully. But you won't have to deal with standstill traffic and teenagers waving rebel flags fifteen deep in the back of a jacked up pickup truck. Flora-Bama, Live Bait, The original Tacky Jacks and a few other bars are in Orange Beach. Gulf Shores has more bars per se but the action will be at the Flora-Bama. Lulus and the Hangout in Gulf Shores will also have events and concerts set up during spring break. The Phoenix properties are a good option for you. Beachfront and central to everything. Brett Robinson Realty is who handles those.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College Spring Break

I probably should have mentioned that some weeks of spring break are considerably more packed than others. Those are when Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas, Ole Miss and Miss State are on break. A lot of houses in the area are owned by parents of students at these schools and these will be the most packed times of spring break.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College Spring Break

This is incredibly helpful, thank you! We are looking to rent a house for between 24-30 or so people, so that's why I was curious as to where I would have more college students as our neighbors on either side (Gulf Shores or Orange Beach.)

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College Spring Break

AlBeachFan gave you some good advice. While there are certainly some college students who spend their SB in the GS/OB area, it does not come close to rivaling the Panama City Beach spring break. I've only lived here for 11 years or so, but have never seen thousands of college students congregated anywhere. So, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a relaxed, laid back area then GS/OB is your place. If you're looking for tons of college students partying, you should at least check out PCB.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: College Spring Break

It is good you are going ahead and looking...you are going to have a heck of a time finding someone in GS/OB to rent their home to 24-30 college students.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College Spring Break

You will have a hard time finding a house for that many people. Not to say it can't be done but you might be better splitting up into a few condominium units. OB/GS is much more laid back than PCB but it will still get it's share of students. It does not have the same atmosphere as PCB and you will not see MTV or Girls Gone Wild here. I've lived here for twenty five years plus and been coming here since grade school and seen it get to the point where multiple incidents of students are falling off of balconies in Gulf Shores. The Flora-Bama will rival bars like Club LaVela and Spinnaker when it comes to getting covers and yes they will pull in thousands of students. Papa Rocco's alone had over 1,500 students on March 17th last year. The Flora-Bama's numbers will be considerably more than every other bar put together. There are over 16,000 rental units between Orange Beach and Gulf Shores and they will be a mix of students and families with students outweighing the families on the weeks that universities are out compared to when pre-college schools are out. You can Google all of this. If you really want to find out where the most students are historically in the area during spring break then call Miss Mary Taxi or Beach Buggy Taxi and find out where most of their runs are during spring break. Snowbirds and families are not the reason taxis from Mobile and Pensacola are here during spring break. It is because of college students.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: College Spring Break

Thanks so much for all the help and advice! We actually did find a nice home that would fit 30 people and the owner was willing to let us use it. It's about 10 minutes away from the Flora-Bama bar, so hopefully we'll be near all the action! Also, apparently Mississippi and University of Alabama share the same spring break as us, so perhaps we'll have some company down there with us.

Abilene, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: College Spring Break

My friends and i are wanting to do spring break in orange beach this year for the first time. We are trying to find a house or condo to rent for about five nights and we want to find a place to stay that we can walk from, to the party area. Does anyone know of the vicinity most college kids gather on the beach to party during spring break. A condo, bar or place to eat that is by there that we can base it off of?? Thanks!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: College Spring Break

Phoenix X beside the Flora-Bama