We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Dinner Cruises and Snorkeling cruises

Whitney, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Dinner Cruises and Snorkeling cruises

My husband and I along with two other couples are going to be in Gulf Shores State Park camping. We all ride motorcycles and would like to know if there are any good sunset dinner cruises. We would also like to do a snorkling trip. We all have our own gear but would like to know the best ones to do. Our trip will be the end of May and the first of June. We are staying for two weeks. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Also will crawfish still be in season at that time.

Thanks,

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruises and Snorkeling cruises

for snorkeling, try down under scuba shop

Whitney, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruises and Snorkeling cruises

Thanks for the information. Our reservations are made and I am counting down until it is time for our vacation!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruises and Snorkeling cruises

If you have your own gear it will save you a lot of money. There are three main sites in the area. Twenty miles offshore of Pensacola Bay is the Oriskany Aircraft carrier. It is the largest man-made reef in the world. It sits in in two hundred feet of water and is a very popular dive site. There are two wreck sites in Alabama waters. The Whiskey wreck and the Mail Wreck. The Whiskey wreck is just 150 yards offshore at Fort Morgan and you can swim to it from shore. The Mail wreck is best done with a charter. Down Under Dive Shop on Hwy 59 will have info on all of these and does charters to all of them as well. Another popular site is the Perdido Pass Bridge. There are all kinds of gamefish around the pilings and many divers go there to spearfish. It is the most easily accessible. In Pensacola Bay itself they have recently discovered one of Tristan De Luna's shipwrecked vessels from a 1500's hurricane. There are ongoing archaeological dives and they may or may not allow recreational divers now. I'm not sure. There have also been substantiated underwater findings in Mobile Bay of a settlement that predates St. Augustine. Again not sure of the details or if they allow divers.

Orange Beach has several sunset dinner cruises that leave from the marinas. If just depends on what you want. The Southern Rose leaves from Sportsmans and is popular. There is a catamaran cruise that would be more romantic. Not sure which marina it leaves from but I see it in the bay a lot. Just google "Orange Beach sunset cruises".

Crawfish will be out of season, sorry. You will still be able to find them at some places. The Flora-Bama usually has them all through the summer and they have tended to be the best there as opposed to anywhere else. If you can find it, Soft -shelled Crawfish are incredible. Few people even know you can eat them in the molting stage and even fewer restaurants serve them. They have shown up as specials in a few of the nicer restaurants in years past but they go quick so if you see them it may be the only chance you will ever get to try them. i think they are better than soft shelled crab.

Best wishes for your vacation.

Whitney, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruises and Snorkeling cruises

Thank you so much for the information. I bet we can find some really neat things to look at snorkeling. We will see if we can find the soft shelled crawfish. Thanks again!

5. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruises and Snorkeling cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores
Recent Conversations