We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Conditions?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Conditions?

Hi everyone! I was wondering have any of y'all recenlty been to the beaches of Gulf Shores to swim or lay out? It's been raining cats and dogs here and is 56 degrees here which is very rare!! We're leaving for GS on Friday and was just wondering how the water and such is? We've never been to GS so we're very excited! Any good resturaunts or places to get good seafood? Thanks in advance!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Conditions?

I have been to the beach around fifteen times since April. I have been swimming several times. The water is cold at first but after a minute or two it feels good. It can be cold getting out if it isn't real sunny or around five or six PM. We have had some rain and wind especially the last two days but the wind is supposed to subside tonight. Seafood is everywhere! I like King Neptunes, Tin top, Villagio, Cosmo's, Papa Rocco's and The Original Oyster House to name a few.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Conditions?

We have been down since friday. It has been cold, windy ..Sunny off and on..

The water has been really rough, and it makes the water not as clear as usual.

It has been crazy weather all over the nation. This is not typical gulf shores may weather..

Gulf shores is beautiful, no matter .

Atlanta
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Conditions?

Thanks for the responses! They're very much appreciated! The weather has indeed been crazy! I just hope when we get there it'll be okay to have a little swim in! I'm very excited to go and see the ocean and eat good seafood. My mom is most looking forward to the oysters and hopefully they're in season. Do oysters have seasons? Thanks again for the suggestions on resturaunts! The weather seems to be fair for when we're down there so hopefully a little ocean time will happen! But even if it's cold I'll get in anyway!

Edited: 07 May 2013, 03:25
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Conditions?

Typically oysters are better in cold waters. They say months that have an "R" in them are the best months. I eat them year round and you can get them here year round. Bon Secour, just bayside of Gulf shores is known internationally to have excellent oysters year round and many restaurants here serve them. The ones I named do have Bon Secours. Other restaurants in the area are serving oysters from Appalachicola and Galveston Bay, which are also good. I personally have never been sick and don't know anyone who has from eating oysters in any local restaurants but the risk is always there as it is with raw eggs or any other uncooked product. If they smell fishy or have odd or brightish colors don't eat them. By the way the weather is absolutely beautiful today!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Conditions?

Great! That's good to hear! I appreciate all the help! You've been a big help. I don't eat oysters just because I don't want to risk the chance of getting sick but that's just with the raw oysters but my mother loves them! So I'll be sure to check those out! And hopefully the weather stays that way!

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Conditions?

I was just at the beach the end of April into May. We had a couple beautiful days and then cloudy and windy days with some rain but it was still warm. I love to work on my tan but that was limited. I still soaked in the beauty of the area each and every day! This is paradise on earth! I love that there is a state park that holds onto the natural beauty of the gulf (except for the zip- line that runs through it) ughh. Each nite we sat on the balcony and enjoyed the sound of the waves and watching kids looking for crabs. I pray that this area never becomes like Destin or Panama City Beach...ha, sometimes I wonder if I should just keep my mouth shut about this paradise.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Conditions?

Thanks for the reply Peace! And this is our first time going so we're one of those paradise crashers! We're sorry but it sounded too nice to pass up! :-) We'll try not to tell anyone though and keep it a secret! I hear GS isn't as crowded as Destin or PCB which we like. We went to PCB a few years ago and the water was pretty but I hated the area. It was kind of sketchy for us. Then the college kids hit and I was like, "oh great." Last year we went to Destin and really liked the area and the beach. But we wanted to try something new and we've always heard good things about Gulf Shores. Some people like the crowds and the big places but that's not for me so I'm glad to hear its calm in GS. Thanks for all y'all's help!

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Conditions?

Enjoy Kaybelle!

9. Re: Beach Conditions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 06:16