We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulfshores with small children

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
181 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
Gulfshores with small children

We are leaving Sunday for the coast. We will be at the Beau Rivage until Wednesday and then will be heading to Sea Oats in Gulf Shores through Saturday or Sunday. I have two children, a three year old and a seven month old. Thought about taking them on a dolphin cruise and I remember there was a little bumper car/put put golf course there at one time. I wasn't sure what activities would be good alternatives when we get tired of the beach. I figured with a seven month old in tow, we would probably have to limit our time outdoors if its really hot. Also for the dolphin cruise, any particular recommendations? And also wondering if the jelly fish are as bad as folks reported them being last week?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
301 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gulfshores with small children

There are amusement parks with rides for your three year old, water activites, small zoo (which I heard was very nice) a carousel ( at the outlets), dolphin cruise (Cold Mil) not to mention tons of souvenir stores for your little one to run around in . You will probably have a harder time keeping them amused at Beau Rivage.

Also, my daughter brings a small blow up pool for her toddler and brings it on the beach to put under the umbrellas. When he grows tired of running in the waves, he is content to sit in his pool and play with his sand toys in the water while they relax. Something to think about.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gulfshores with small children

Everything Jeannie mentioned is good. The zoo is small but fun for kids because they can pet and feed several animals and they do have a large amount of animals to be so small. If they have any new animals in the zoo babies program it would be fun to see those. Gulf Shores has recently made West Pass very child friendly and It is the ideal spot for a young baby as their is no current or waves on the lagoon side of the pass. There is a nice park "Kid's Park" in Gulf Shores by the Bodenhammer Center. I still take my children there often.

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
181 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gulfshores with small children

Yeah I'm going to a business conference at the Beau. Then our actual beach trip starts Wednesday. What are the best seafood joints with fresh seafood and not too swanky for the babies ...although I am willing to put them in "real" clothes to go out to dinner ;)

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gulfshores with small children

Kids===shade,cover and sunscreen!!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gulfshores with small children

There are lots of restaurants in the GS/OB area that have a casual, kid friendly vibe. We've enjoyed Docs in OB, Original Oyster House in GS, Mikes (or maybe it's Mikey's ?) with kids. We always eat at one or 2 of the Shrimp Basket restaurants & have good seafood there. We went to some place called Ribs & Reds (I think) & while it was kid friendly, we didn't think the food was great. Lots of people on here like King Neptune's & Sea & Suds--both are casual & I hope to try 1 or both this summer.

I would say most places down there cater to families. We've taken our then 6 year old to Louisiana Lagniappe before & it was fine (that's my favorite place). We tend to eat early in the evening so that usually helps us with not having to wait too long. LL is what I would call dressy casual. We've often gone to celebrate our anniversary(when grandparents could watch our son) but as I said before, we've taken our son once & it went well.

I know lots of people on here love Cosmos & Cobalt but we haven't tried them yet. I've looked at the menus & just felt like it wasn't somewhere we wanted to try yet with a kid. Maybe some others could weigh in more on those.

Lulus is always mentioned as being kid friendly b/c there is so much there for kids to see & do. However, the food quality is hotly debated. I've got friends who eat there every time they go to GS but we haven't eaten there in a few years. We do sometimes go to the area & look around & souvenir shop; our son enjoys seeing all that is "Lulus."

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gulfshores with small children

I love King Neptunes, Sea & Suds and The Original Oyster House for seafood in a non-upscale setting. Both the Hangout and Lulu's are great for children as there are big sandboxes and buckets and things for them to play with and they have picnic tables where the adults can sit and drink and watch the children from there. The food is what I would consider touristy but the Tuna Dip at lulu's is really good and I have had good meals at both places everytime I've been, which is a lot with my own children. There are nicer restaurants such as Villagio, Cosmos, Cobalt, Louisiana Lagniappe, and Sunset Corkroom, the seared tuna is to die for, which are upscale but still have an informal feel. I have heard Fishers and JW Fins are good too, but I have yet to eat at either.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gulfshores with small children

I have never had a bad meal at Lu Lu's ..

I would take the kids there for sure..

8. Re: Gulfshores with small children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 05:17