We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Help for this december

Excelsior Springs...
3 posts
Save Topic
Condo Help for this december

My family and I will be visiting the Gulf Shores area the last week in December. I have three very active older kids and I am worried about which condo to choose. I would like a condo with as many things for them to do in the area as possible. I have been looking at the Beach Club and Gulf Shores Plantation. Are these good choices? Are there other condos out there with a nice inside pool or heated outdoor pool? What about bike rentals that time of year? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Beach Club
The Beach Club
519 Reviews
Gulf Shores, AL
Gulf Shores Plantation
Gulf Shores Plantation
411 Reviews
Gulf Shores, AL
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo Help for this december

I love the Beach Club and once owned at GSP but they are out on Ft Morgan road , miles from town. Not the best place in the winter when you will not be going in the gulf. Choose a place in GS/OB and don't forget to do a day at the National Aviation Museum (free) in Pensacola

Mentioned in this post
The Beach Club
The Beach Club
519 Reviews
Gulf Shores, AL
Atmore
Level Contributor
300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo Help for this december

There really isn't a lot to do in this area in the winter...a lot of places close down. The Wharf in Orange Beach should be open, but I don't know if the amusement park will be open. They have a large ferris wheel that is right in front of the theatres that you could ride...and lots of shopping...there is an amphitheatre outside where lots of great artists play...look up The Wharf at Orange Beach and see if anyone is coming when you will be there. There is the Gulf Shores Zoo that is really popular, you could check that out online...not sure about the putt putt golf at that time of year...Call Brett Robinson and ask them, they will know what all will be open at that time of year. My parents always used them to rent out their condo they used to own and always had great things to say about them. have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo Help for this december

Gulf Shores is really one of the few beach towns that is fun to visit all year. The weather is mild enough in the winter that you should be able to enjoy some walks on the beach (avg high in Dec is 62) and, if you can find a spot out of the wind, maybe even work on your tan. The sunsets into the Gulf this time of year are absolutely beautiful. And thanks to the large snowbird population, almost everything other than the amusement parks stays open, including the restaurants, parks, outlet mall and other shopping areas such as The Warf, the zoo, arcades etc.

There are many great condos in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach with nice indoor heated pools and tennis courts - such as all the Phoenix buildings, which also have there own racket ball courts.

However, if you are looking for one place with the most on-site amenities, you really can't beat The Beach Club. It has it own health club, tennis club, professional spa, game room, basketball court, shuffleboard courts, volleyball courts, pool tables, virtual golf, arcade games, bike rentals, and two on-site restaurants. And all tower condos are gulf-front and have their own heated beach-front hot tubs. We really like the fact that once you park your car, you can relax and never have to leave.

The Beach Club is 12 miles from downtown Gulf Shores, which is only about a 14 minute drive. So it is really not a problem to go there for restaurants, shopping, and groceries (there is also a convenience store right next to the resort). But most of the time we like to enjoy the Fort Morgan area when staying at The Beach Club. Both of the resort restaurants are good, and a neat little place called Behind The Pines is right next door. Kiva Dunes golf course is less than a mile away and it has a nice little restaurant open to the public for breakfast and lunch. The Sassy Bass, one of the highest rated resturants in Gulf Shores, is also right down the street. Also in the area you have Tacky Jack's 2, Ocean's restaurant, and next to that is a great little seafood store.

But regardless of where you stay, you should be able to have a great time this winter in Gulf Shores or Orange Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
The Beach Club
The Beach Club
519 Reviews
Gulf Shores, AL
Behind The Pines
Behind The Pines
154 Reviews
Gulf Shores, AL
Kiva Dunes
Kiva Dunes
5 Reviews
Gulf Shores, AL
Louisiana
Level Contributor
304 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo Help for this december

We always go to Phoenix V in Orange Beach. The complex itself sits close to the water's edge as compared to some of the other Phoenix condos. Phoenix V has a decent size indoor pool and hot tubs, a fitness room, and an indoor raquetball court and tennis courts that my "big kids" enjoyed. There are great restaurants in Orange Beach. There are dolphin cruises in the area but don't know if they still operate in the winter. The town of Orange Beach is not deserted in the off season, as "snowbirds from the North" rent the condos for months at a time to escape the snow.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
5. Re: Condo Help for this december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores