We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in the heart of the action?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in the heart of the action?

This will be our first time to Gulf Shores, we are traveling with kids. We want to stay at a condo right on the beach in the middle of everything so we can walk to a lot of places instead of having to drive so much. Is there a main attraction to stay near? (if anyone's been to Panama City Beach, what I consider the main attraction is Pier Park since you can do so much on foot right there. That's kinda what I'm looking for) I'd certainly appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,533 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in the heart of the action?

Heather. The problem with GS/ OB is that there is no center! And not nearly the commercial activity.

If you look at a map...where 59 hits the water is called the "T" and is logically the center BUT..hardly the center of activities...nearby you have restaurants and the waterpark....but you have the Wharf...miles away. The pier miles away, many restaurants in OB and Gulf Shores miles away. Outlet center in Foley, and great lodging out on Ft Morgan as far as 20 miles away.

Choose a lodging that suits your family..budget rooms etc and do a little driving...not near the traffic as PCB. Lots of discussion on this forum about when to eat to avoid crowds.

Be sure to visit the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola...FREE!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in the heart of the action?

I would agree with Felschurch. Pleasure Island contains the cities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach as well as Fort Morgan. It is a long narrow island and you will almost certainly have to drive a little bit. The "T" as mentioned above is a good center point and one of your best options to be centralized in Gulf Shores. In Orange Beach I would say the area around where Hwy 161 dead ends into Beach Rd. I think you would do better to stay in Gulf Shores as there is more for children to do there and it is in fairly close proximity to the "T". Besides what is mentioned above you have ice cream shops, go-carts, bumper boats, a small zoo( Discovery channel's The Little Zoo That Could), a waterpark, several putt-putt courses, all kinds of watersport rentals, grocery stores, Wal-mart, Beach stores, souvenier shops, gas stations and multitudes of restaurants all very close to the "T" but better accessed with a car. Look at some of the condos like San Carlos, The Lighthouse, Seawind. There are lots of options. Best to choose a condo with good pool amenities too.

3. Re: Where to stay in the heart of the action?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18