We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oil derricks visible from the beach

Level Contributor
1,423 posts
Save Topic
Oil derricks visible from the beach

After visiting Gulf Shores a few times I was amazed at all the oil/gas wells that tarnished the view from our beach rental. Don't get me wrong, the beaches are gorgeous but when sitting on the deck relaxing, it was a bummer to see so many of these.

Are there as many further to the east at Orange Beach or Perdido Key?

Level Contributor
1,423 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

They're not that far out really. A few of them are less than 10 miles out. Not sure how you couldn't see them from the "T". They are obvious and numerous in any kind of clear weather.

Good to hear that this is the easternmost point that one would find these wells. I'll have to try the Perdido Key/Pensacola area next time..

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

That sounds like a good solution.

Level Contributor
1,423 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

The locals seem a bit testy on this subject. Nothing personal folks. It was just an honest observation. No one place can have it all.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

I saw them last year in Ft. Morgan. They are a distraction when all you want to see is water. I know they are better than foreign oil/gas but...I didn't want them in the back ground when we had pictures taken on the beach.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

Well, I'm not a local, but I have vacationed all my life in either Panama City, Destin, Pensacola, Orange Beach, or Gulf Shores. Now we stick to the Gulf Shores area around the "T". And looking through all of my many, many pictures that my husband teases me about, I can promise you that there are no oil wells lurking in the background, no matter the conditions of the day, cloudy, sunny, or even when we were there during Hurricane Ike! Except for, as previously mentioned the twinkling lights in the far distance to the right at night if I was able to take a decent night shot. Now we have never stayed on the Fort Morgan area so I can't speak for that area.

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
74 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

I don't think they are a distraction. I concentrate on the beautiful water and the lovely white sand. At nite I find them kind of fun to see shining in the distance. I'd rather have oil derricks in the distance than the crowds and traffic in Destin and Panama City. I can't think of any pics that they've shown up in either. We did see UFO's one night, now that was a distraction, also a fireball one nite.

Level Contributor
1,423 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

You're certainly right about Panama City. That place is a mess. GS is much better but I did notice the oil wells within seconds of stepping onto the beach for the very first time, during an overcast day. They are a bit more than just "twinkling lights" at night I'm afraid.

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

Well Bryan I hope you did not cry the short time you were here & I guess you will not be coming back.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 15:21
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

No crying. They were still fun trips, just not for enjoying the beach or the view. The Pensacola beaches was spectacular however and we'll definitely be through the area again..

Florence, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
165 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Oil derricks visible from the beach

You will not see any off of the coast in Orange Beach.

Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores