We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest route from I-65

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest route from I-65

What's the best route from I-65 to the State Park Pier vicinity? Do you ever get on I-10 east for a bit to the Baldwin Beach Express (County rd 83) which hooks into Foley Beach Pkwy? Or straight down AL 59, or another way? Thanks!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
351 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest route from I-65

We go straight down 59 (From 65 Bay Minette Exit 37 Gulf Shores Parkway). No need to get on I-10 from where you are coming from.

if you take the Foley Beach Express there is a toll bridge and one way or another you have to back track to get to the State Park once you reach the beach highway. So, we stay on 59 -- if you were going to Orange Beach, then the Beach Express might be a good option.

That said, there are ways to wiggle around a bit to avoid the very heavy traffic on 59 from Foley to the inter-coastal on check-in and check-out days, but if you can time your arrival in the morning (rather than noon or later) especially on a day other than Saturday, then 59 should work fine.

Are you staying in the Park itself? The check-in for the park is off 180 which is well before the T and beach highway 182.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest route from I-65

Easiest way is straight down 65 to Exit 37, Hwy 59 south. At the "T", the intersection of 59 and Beach Rd, Take a left. The state pier is about a mile on the right.

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
467 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest route from I-65

You can take the Foley Beach Express and exit just before the toll. The exit road will connect you to 59 well past most of the traffic delays. Then you can go over the bridge and down to the "T."

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
351 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest route from I-65

Depending on when you come the alternate route CTSnowbird suggests could be a good option -- you will still have to go through a busy intersection when you get to 59 (Cotton Creek Dr. can be rather crazy with folks getting in and out of the little shopping area and the gas station). I also thought that road was under construction, but maybe it is finished now.

If you cut back across on County Rd 8 from the Express way that might work, but this route is still longer in terms of distance because you back track.

Robert C gave perfect directions if you want to get to the pier and it also works if you are going tent or trailer camping at the campground.

Foley, Alabama
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest route from I-65

Current Beach Express status is always at: http://www.how-to-get-to-gulf-shores.com/

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest route from I-65

Yes - we live in Gulf Shores and the Baldwin Beach Express saves a lot of time - it goes through mostly country and has far fewer lights. You can get off at county road 12 or 8 and rejoin 59 to finish your trip to the beach - or go on the Foley Beach Express and pay to cross the bridge into Orang Beach/Canal Road if you want to do that.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quickest route from I-65

fastest way to the pier is to take the Foley Beach Express and get off at the exit right before the toll bridge. Take a left at the stop sign then a right on County Rd 4. (the repave just finished) Take a left on Hwy 59 then a left at the light right over the bridge. Take a right at the high school and then a left into the state park. When the road forks, take the right fork. it dead ends at the zipline and the pier is across the road.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
395 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quickest route from I-65

Thanks for this post! We're coming from St. Louis so we aren't taking 1-65 area (actually staying in Ft. Morgan area) but I was a little confused when Google Maps suggested that we take 1-10 past 59 and take the Baldwin Beach Express, then get back onto 59 a few miles later. These last two posts make it more understandable.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quickest route from I-65

The exit you need for the Baldwin Beach Express is exit 49 from I-10; then make sure you go from the Baldwin Beach Express to the Foley Beach Express. I have not been for a couple weeks so didn't realize the exit onto Country Road 4 was finished. We usually get off at 12 or 8 and get to 59. You will go south on 59 and then take a right onto Fort Morgan Road a few blocks before the beach roads.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quickest route from I-65

We just did this route coming back from Fort Morgan a few day ago with low traffic but still timed it as saving us about 13 or 14 minutes.