We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry Stolen at Residence Inn Hoover AL

Which Hoover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Niceville, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Jewelry Stolen at Residence Inn Hoover AL

Stayed at the Residence Inn Hoover Al May 3-5 and when we checked out my wife left her jewelry in the bedside table. Called back Monday morning to have them hold our jewelry and was told it wasn't there. There was no other guests staying in this room after we checked out. The only people to go into the room was personnel from the Marriott. Just because we forgot it, it does not give the hotel staff the right to take it. I will be contacting the Hoover Police 5/7/2013 to file a theft report. Don't stay at this hotel if you want to have confidence in your items being safe if you forget something.

Contacted Liam Brown the President and all he said was"I’m sorry to hear that your stay was marred by the loss of jeweler. If there’s anything I can do please let me know".

Guess I got this response because I told him "This is our last straw. We feel we cannot stay at a Marriott property and have our valuables be safe; therefore we can no longer support the company and can no longer stay at your properties with confidence."

We have had some bad stays with Marriott in the past year.

5 replies to this topic
Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewelry Stolen at Residence Inn Hoover AL

Sorry you lost your jewelry but if I left something valuable in my room at check-out I would consider myself very lucky if I was able to ever get it back. We stay at Marriott properties all the time and love them. I notice you have never bothered to post any other comments in the forums and have never posted a single review either positive or negative.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewelry Stolen at Residence Inn Hoover AL

I'm sure your wife is heartbroken, I sympathize completely! I actually left $300 in a bible once and probably had the same feeling. Didn't want to carry that much cash around, and ended up not needing it. Didn't bother to call about it though. What are the odds of getting the rare honest person?

You've got to consider that if the hotel just compensated everyone who said they left something in a room, they'd go broke overnight.

"Don't stay at this hotel if you want to have confidence in your items being safe if you forget something." I would never expect such in any hotel. Reality is what it is.

I would encourage both of you to not put personal items in such places in the future. I have a little pouch that lives in my bathroom kit for jewelry to make sure I don't do this very thing. If I remove an item, it goes right in the bag, not next to the sink or bed.

So sorry!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewelry Stolen at Residence Inn Hoover AL

The other posts here were right on. Hotels try to display enough signage for guests to see that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items which a guest might leave behind or in unsecureded places. They light their parking lots and provide locking systems on doors and usually have a guard on duty at night. Those things constitute reasonable care. You have to exercise caution yourself with how you travel, transport and secure your valuables. It's not a given at all that an employee stole your jewelry once it was left behind. In the middle of a busy day laundry workers come in unoccupied rooms to strip the linens and usually prop the doors open so they can roll back out the doors w/o stopping. Housekeepers work in and out of a dozen or more rooms each in the process of their work and prop doors to unoccupied rooms. (After all the occupant has checked out and left.) Maintenance workers and exterminators & others ,come in and out ocassionally, and sometimes unauthorized people walk the corridor, and left behind items might be on display to all of them unless some dilligent employee sees them first and turns them in to Lost and Found. Expecting the hotel to press a Room Attendant for instance to confess or to terminate a powerless minimum wage employee when there is no proof of his guilt is unreasonable, especially when the responsibilty to keep up with your possesions is yours.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewelry Stolen at Residence Inn Hoover AL

I find it interesting that this is the poster's first and only post.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewelry Stolen at Residence Inn Hoover AL

You are so right when you say "Just because we left it does not mean that they have the right to take it!" You are doing the right thing by filing a police report. Unfortunately, if you refuse to stay at hotels that don't reimburse you for stolen items, you will soon have no place to stay. Unless the robbery is witnessed, the management has no way of knowing what exactly happened. I am so sorry this happened!

Reply to: Jewelry Stolen at Residence Inn Hoover AL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hoover