We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

How far is the space center in hours from chattanooga?

Is teh space center a whole day event or half day?

Is there anything else fun to do there nearby without getting lost or driving far?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

It's about an hour and 45 minutes to the Space Center from Chattanooga. If you want to take in the IMAX movies and see all of the museum you should plan for pretty much the entire day. Unless there's some pressing reason to come right away I would suggest waiting until the new Saturn 5 display is completed and open. The grand opening is scheduled for January 31, '08.

Huntsville is a small town so navigating is not all that difficult. Check out huntsville.org for other things to do in town that might interest you. I could list a bunch of stuff but seeing the descriptions and pictures on the web site is much better.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

You seen one imax you seen em all! We have a great imax here and after about three times I was bored with em.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

Hey chasm-

I found this place called Harmony Park Safari in Huntsville that might be ok. It is a drive through zoo where the animals come up to your car and you can feed them.

Here's a link for info (I couldn't find an official site)...

www.valleyplanet.com/article.php?id=555

There is also a place called Dismals Canyon. It is an hour and a 45 min from Huntsville, so you might want to do this on another trip. It is a 1.5 mile hike on the canyon floor with waterfalls and other natural wonders. The best thing, (the reason I really want to go) is the glow worms. It's one of few places in the world to see these creatures. I'm not sure when the "peak" time is for viewing them, but it looks amazing in the pictures.

They also have cabins and campsites available.

Here's the link...

http://www.dismalscanyon.com/

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

THANK YOU! The glow worms sound awsome!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

firefighterzgrl,

We drop the space center completly and went to demsmals, thanks for the recomendation. ;)

We loved it though we arrived late and didnt get to see everything and there were only a few desmalights out. We are going back in teh springtime.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

Hey chasm-

Did you find out the peak time of year to see the glow worms?

I have wanted to go up there for a while now, but just haven't got around to it. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

YES the peak is in april or may!

Early spring.

8. Re: Space center from chattanooga and other questions..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 17:17