Our young family took a recent trip to Huntsville. Here are some thoughts:
1. The cabins at Monte Sano State Park are worth a try. They are small, so I wouldn't recommend them for larger families or families with older children. They are a little rustic, so people used to staying at facilities where they are pampered may not enjoy them. But it is hard to pass on then views, quiet, and fresh air.
2. We found we ran out of time on our visit. We were able to get to the Botantical Garden (which was a big hit with the kids) and Sci-Quest, which we also enjoyed, but we really needed another day or two to get everything in.
3. Big Springs Park is worth a side trip while your in the area. Just don't get too close to the edge. My 5 year old fell in the pond and was completely soaked.
4. The "Passport" offered by the visitors center are a good choice. 20% off admission is worth the time you spend there. The staff at the visitor's center is friendly and helpful.
5. The train at the North Alabama Railway was a nice change of pace for our family. We enjoyed the hour-long ride.
6. Ol Heidelberg was a good choice for us. They were great with the kids, and the food was terrific.