We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Recap

Which Huntsville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lynn Have, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Recap

Our young family took a recent trip to Huntsville. Here are some thoughts:

1. The cabins at Monte Sano State Park are worth a try. They are small, so I wouldn't recommend them for larger families or families with older children. They are a little rustic, so people used to staying at facilities where they are pampered may not enjoy them. But it is hard to pass on then views, quiet, and fresh air.

2. We found we ran out of time on our visit. We were able to get to the Botantical Garden (which was a big hit with the kids) and Sci-Quest, which we also enjoyed, but we really needed another day or two to get everything in.

3. Big Springs Park is worth a side trip while your in the area. Just don't get too close to the edge. My 5 year old fell in the pond and was completely soaked.

4. The "Passport" offered by the visitors center are a good choice. 20% off admission is worth the time you spend there. The staff at the visitor's center is friendly and helpful.

5. The train at the North Alabama Railway was a nice change of pace for our family. We enjoyed the hour-long ride.

6. Ol Heidelberg was a good choice for us. They were great with the kids, and the food was terrific.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Recap

Glad you had a good visit. When I recommended dining options I didn't mention Ol Heidelberg due to the cost. We love Ol Heidelberg as well but don't take the kids when we go.

Lynn Have, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Recap

I was a little worried at Ol Heidelberg for the kids (who can sometimes be finicky) but they had a kids menu that had some of the favorites. We did it for lunch, when the prices were not very bad at all (at least by Panama City Beach standards).

That is one of the great vacation lessons we learned at some point-- go to the better restaurants at lunch. The prices are lower and the kids seem to bother the other patrons less.

Even with beer and several desserts, I think the bill for our family of five was less than $70.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
140 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Recap

How funny! I relocated here from Panama City. I have never heard of someone falling in the pond at Big Spring. Was it a boy that fell in? I think usually the more aggressive ducks are enough to keep my daughter from getting too close.

We have been meaning to do the North Alabama Railway, but keep checking on the wrong dates. We did do the Huntsville Railroad Museum and Depot and that was fun for a partial day.

Lynn Have, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Recap

It was my daughter who fell in, and it happened about 30 seconds after I warned them about not falling in. I think she got off-balance trying to throw a piece of bread to a duck. You don't really notice, but the slope on those ponds is apparently pretty steep. She's pretty tall, and fell in over her head. I had to grab her by the shoulders to get her out.

I found out after I got back home that apparently we missed the actual "Big Spring". I guess it is across the street from the ponds and bridge we discovered.

In any case, we enjoyed the visit to Big Springs and the rest of Huntsville.

5. Re: Trip Recap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 05:18