We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for snow

tuscaloosa, alabama
1 post
Save Topic
looking for snow

i'm a high school teacher/coach looking for a place that will have a great chance of snow during the winter break. i have two toddlers and a wife that i need to gave a great couple of days to because of my busy sports seasons (football ending and baseball starting). i know it may be impossible but any ideas?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,107 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for snow

Check out Cloudmont Mt. ski in Mentone or Sky Valley ski in Sky Valley, Ga. Both places make snow when the temps are right.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for snow

Real snow anywhere in AL is not very likely. Not that it doesn't happen but it's not common. You need to either go farther north and/or to much higher elevations to have any real chance of snow on any given winter day. Even TN doesn't have much snow lately.

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for snow

For snow I'd head for the Brasstown Bald area....doesn't get any higher than that in Georgia....(smile).

For a great winter break with a chance of snow...I recommend going to Dillard....specifically, the Dillard House! Great restaurant and accomodations....they even have a petting zoo and pony rides for the toddlers. Dillard is very close to Sky Valley (where they make snow if they have too) OR if you want to really make a hit with the wife and toddlers, go to The Cabbage Patch - Babyland General in Cleveland on your way home....!!!

Metro Atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for snow

I am hoping you are referring to Winter/Christmas break. If that is the case, then "Cataloochee" ski area near Asheville, NC may be your best bet. It is situated in the summer resort town of "Maggie Valley, NC". Some of the hotels in Maggie Valley also have indoor pools (great for the kids). Look at the website skinc.com (ski North Carolina) for some great links about Cataloochee and other NC ski areas.

The Cloudmont resort in Mentone AL would certainly be convenient if you live in AL. But it relies on manmade snow and temps are not always cold enough to guarantee much (or any) snow at Christmas I have skied there once, about 2 years ago. It was very small, but OK for beginners. Their web site is cloudmont.com.

Sorry to say that Sky Valley in Georgia closed about 4-5 years ago. I used to take my kids and their friends up there for day trips. It was a fun little ski resort.

5. Re: looking for snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Mentone