We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Goa

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
First time to Goa

Hi

We are looking at an Xmas/New Year break to Goa. Never been and just starting to research everything. Would preferably like to fly from Manchester. Is it best to book a package? Separate flights and hotel? Any tips or advice on booking greatly appreciated. Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
752 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: First time to Goa

If you’re used to doing flights and accommodation separately, then you should be fine. Most of us that have been going for years do that. You can fly from Manchester with Tui and Thomas cook directly to Goa. A lot of the schedule fliers go from there too, but you will not fly direct with them. Jet airways are starting to fly from Manchester later this year too. I personally travel to LHR as there is more choice of flights.

Accommodation, book directly. There will be lots of people who could suggest somewhere. I stay in Candolim, so don’t know about places in Calangute.

You might prefer to do a package first time, then if you want to go the following year, look for an accommodation while you're there for the following year. This really depends how long you stay for.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
122 reviews
2. Re: First time to Goa

If you are just going for a couple of weeks you may well find a package cheaper, it usually is and you have a direct flight. Thomas Cook is usually cheaper than TUI, they are both scheduled airlines flying to Goa.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: First time to Goa

Next year will be our 4th time to Baga/Calangute. The first time we went via London Gatwick direct to Goa with Tui. Next 3 times Thomas Cook from Manchester. All were package holidays booked online.

I looked at cheaper options which would seem to be booking a flight, maybe via the Gulf or Bombay and booking accommodation separately also online but to be honest I just want to arrive there as quickly as possible and chill for 2 or 3 weeks.

Next January we're getting a train from Glasgow to Manchester around 2315 hours which should get us to Manchester airport just as check in opens. Once the cases are gone the holiday begins. It's around 10 hours direct flight.

We won't be using the coach transfer from Goa airport as it takes too much time to get the bus loaded. Around £15 will get us a taxi and to the hotel well before the coach.

To answer your main question -- it depends on how much you want to spend. Considering what food, etc costs in some airports if changing planes, etc, again I can't be bothered with the hassle.

Goa when you are eventually there is much cheaper than your average holiday destination. My wife and I live like kings for less than £50 a day.

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: First time to Goa

Thanks for the replies 😊

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: First time to Goa

For your first time in Goa I would suggest a package deal,you don’t need all inclusive as you will rarely use it,use the first time to see if it’s for you and also as a learning curve for future holidays

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: First time to Goa

Baga/Calangute is very crowded that week,you might want to look for other option.Candolim might be better option for stay.

Panjim, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: First time to Goa

Hi,

Xmas/New year is peak season in Goa.....expect crowd and higher prices.

Suggest you start looking for hotel stays much earlier to get relatively lower prices.

You can also check airbnb, tripadvisor rentals, ....for accomodation options.

regarding places to visit, you can try the following:

trip.goancove.com

best wishes for your 1st trip !

Panjim, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: First time to Goa

Also, you may want to avoid crowded beaches such as Calangute during that part of the year.

relatively less crowded beaches woul be :

http://trip.goancove.com/main/getTrip/149

1 post
9. Re: First time to Goa

Since you are planning for the year end, Goa gets very much crowded by that time and hence the price rises.

I suggest you to do advance booking for you flights and accommodations.

If you are planing in a group than then do book a stay where you get a chance to stay with your whole group together and you can enjoy allot more than in hotels, heretostay.in as an option to book accommodations.

http://heretostay.in/Goa/Villas

for places to visit Goa you can refer this link

https://www.trawell.in/goa

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: First time to Goa

Hi

I agree with dragon07NorthWales (Post 5)

He has said it all

Reply to: First time to Goa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calangute