We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Sutton Coldfield
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Hi,

We are going to Calangute for the first time in 2 weeks. A few silly questions which I would appreciate advice on :

Will I need a cardi in the evenings, or does it stay warm at night?

Where are the best places to exchange travellers cheques/cash?

Can we use our adapters (which we use in Europe) for electrical points - if not is it best to buy out there?

Are sun creams, mossie tablets for plugs, aftersun etc. a better buy in Goa, or should we take them with us?

Are taxis/trips bought out there insured? If not, is there any extra insurance we should take out before we go?

Any more helpful advice would be gratefully received!

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Hi LK

Will I need a cardi in the evenings, or does it stay warm at night? - Yes the temperature does drop a little.

Where are the best places to exchange travellers cheques/cash - Don't know about travellers cheques(never use them) but the best rat for cash is usually opposite johnnys druggist (main Calangute road).

Can we use our adapters (which we use in Europe) for electrical points - if not is it best to buy out there? - Buy one out there for a few pence.

Are sun creams, mossie tablets for plugs, aftersun etc. a better buy in Goa, or should we take them with us?- We buy out there.

Are taxis/trips bought out there insured? If not, is there any extra insurance we should take out before we go? - Don't know if i'm honest i can give you the name of our driver who we always us.

Its Rock mob number 0091 982 215 5709, hes honest & reliable, we speak on the phone regularly.

He hangs out behind (the Nizmar)

If you do use him tell him Tony Greig sent you.

Hope this helps & i'm sure you'll have a great time

Which hotel are you in?

T&J

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Actually, I don't think you need a cardi in the evenings, but maybe I'm just a hot blooded individual!

Sun creams and insect repellents I always buy here - the first because I burn really easily, so I want to make sure I'm getting the factor I think I'm getting, and the second because the Goan repellents merely serve to make me more attractive to mozzies, so I stick to DEET-based ones from here. Plug-in anti-mozzie things are cheap enough to buy when you get there.

Never had extra insurance for trips or taxis - it never occurred to me.

Take a torch!

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

My moosis always takes a cardi/pashmina everywhere.

She gets cold on the beach at midday!!!!

Sutton Coldfield
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Thanks both, that's very useful. It didn't occur to me to take a torch, so that's useful. Thanks Badgerlad for Rock's phone number and we'll be sure to mention your name.

Getting excited now - counting down the days!

St.Annes, Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Hi LK,

never tell anyone selling anything, or taxi drivers that it is your first visit!!!!

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Agree with Steph.

Tell them you've been here many times

Herts
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Hi LK

Universal sink plug

Padlock - for your safety deposit box, one that is stronger and bigger than a suitcase padlock.

Be very careful with your luggage weight when you return home. I've bought some travel scales for my next trip, having been charged £30 excess baggage last time.

Sutton Coldfield
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Many thanks everyone for your helpful advice. Must get a universal plug and padlock! I think I should be OK as far as luggage weight goes, as I have 20k allowance, but I will be careful, thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Hi LK

Apart from the answers you aready have, another piece of advice is - Its very casual in Calangute well all of North Goa, even the more expensive restaurants ie East meets West, so there is no need to dress up in the evenings,if you are walking along the roads, avoid white trousers as the bottoms will turn a grim shade of brown, due to the orangey dust everywhere. I normally only take 2 pairs of flip flops(no heels) and I'm normally the "shoe queen" 1 pair for the day and 1 for the evenings as they do get dirty. Mind you it doesn't stop me buying a dozen pairs while I'm there.lol

Hope this helps

Boo

Sutton Coldfield
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Goan - tips on anything please!

Thanks for that Boo. I was planning to take white trousers, so I'll leave them at home! Also will only take flip flops and perhaps trainers in case we go walking.

Thanks to everyone for their very helpful advice. This is the first holiday where I have used a travel forum and I can't believe how much information is available! I feel quite well researched now!

All the best

LK

Get answers to your questions about Calangute
Recent Conversations