We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas time in & around Calangute

Hertfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas time in & around Calangute

Hi,

My husband and I are visiting Goa this xmas and new year. It will be my third trip & my husband's second to this area, so we are quite familiar with it.

I was just wondering how different it is around the Christmas period... Do organized trips still run? Do restaurants and shops hike up their prices much? Are the markets still open?

Sorry if this topic has already been covered, I did search "christmas" in the search box, and couldn't find anything relevant.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas time in & around Calangute

It is a whole lot busier as there are far more domestic tourists, especially around New Year. If you are flying via Mumbai you had better book your internal flights ASAP as these fill up pretty quickly.

Markets will be open but haven't noticed too much of a price hike.

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,721 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas time in & around Calangute

Hiya

Prices stay the same in restaurants..

Trips run as usual but i'd recommend using a taxi rather than tour operators...

Hotels and guest houses put their prices up for the festive period...

Markets will be on if they get a licence..;-)

We are flying out 17th Dec for 2 weeks...

Hertfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas time in & around Calangute

Thanks guys! We fly out on the 19th for 2 weeks! So excited! Glad to know that trips (and hopefully markets) will all be running, and that prices only go insane for the flights and hotels! :o)

St-lambert
Level Contributor
949 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas time in & around Calangute

Hello Rogoashear

Where about are you staying ? as I plan to be in the area for christams/new year eve, and still looking for a hotel

Merci

Sylvain

Darwen, United...
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas time in & around Calangute

We fly out on 19th Dec for 2weeks also. Where are you flying from?? and where are you staying?? We fly from Manchester and are staying in Anjuna

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Anjuna
Anjuna
Bardez, India
London, United...
Level Contributor
456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas time in & around Calangute

PALMARINHA RESORT we are going on the 17 th December for 3 weeks any idear the cost of food and beer out there for a famly of 4

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas time in & around Calangute

Most restaurants and shacks bring out a new menu and prices about the first week of December and if they can make the prices stick that becomes the standard menu for the rest of the season but they some times have to cut the prices back a bit by February if trade is slack but last year was different because they did not make a lot of money over Christmas due to the terrorist attack in Mumbai, some thought they could charge their regulars what they liked.

As you already know prices in Goa are cheap and an extra 20/30 Rps on a meal would not be noticed by most tourist.

Everything carrys on much the same at Christmas, some places might close for the morning or the afternoon but very few for the day.

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Goa
Goa
India
8. Re: Christmas time in & around Calangute

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Calangute