We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Worries!!!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Money Worries!!!

Hi my husband and I are going to Calangute on 2nd April,our first time in India.We are very excited but just a bit concerned about how much and what sort of money to take.Is it better to take sterling travellers cheques or American dollar ones,are they easy to change?Also what are the cash machines like and will we need small change for tipping at airport?And can anyone recommend any trips and where to book them,and what is it like for mosquitoes we will be taking malaria tablets but will we have to wear long sleeves and trousers every night?sorry to be so full of questions I think its just over excitement ,thanks for any help.

Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,795 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Worries!!!

cleveleystravellers, there's no problem changing travellers cheques in Goa. Take sterling ones, there's no point paying to change your money from sterling to dollars and then to rupees. Others who have stayed in Calangute will be able to help you re the ATMs though I understand there are several.

They will accept pound coins as a tip at the airport though I never tip - I just grab hold firmly of my own suitcases and carry them to the coach or taxi. Yes there are mozzies, but I never wear long sleeves in Goa it's too hot apart from anything else. I take malaria tablets and spray with repellant before going out on an evening and use a plug in in the hotel room.

Hope you enjoy your first time in Goa.

Hastings, uk
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Worries!!!

HI Gemma do you take mozzie plug-in with you or buy one out there?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Worries!!!

you can buy them there very cheaply if you don't already have one, also travel apdaptors are very cheap there too! Unless you already have these things, just buy when you get there from a local minimarket

Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Worries!!!

Cleveleystravellers,there are a number of ATM's in the centre of Calangute. You'll find that once you go to get your bags from the carousel you'll be surounded by lads wanting to help you with your luggage, once they drop your bags off at your coach they want payment of £1 coin. If you don't want their services just give them a stern "no thank you" and keep a firm grip on your bag.

There's a number of trips available, you could try Dudhsagar Waterfalls, Spice Plantation or the Crocodile trip but which ever trip you fancy use a taxi, the driver's will take you anywhere and it's a lot cheaper that organised trips. One thing, if you do get a taxi, always ask the price before you get in the taxi and haggle the price with him.

Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Worries!!!

last time we were in goa we had problems getting money from the atms so its worth having a back up plan ie more than one bank card this time i think we will just take sterling and travellers cheques. At the airport it is better just to allow the porters to help you they know exactly where to take you for the buses/*taxis and you dont get pestered by all the other porters its definatley worth a quid! Get a repelant with deet they seem to work best

Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Worries!!!

Sterling T/C's the best bet.

ATM's not a problem in Calangute.

Call into Johnny's chemist in calangute, you can get a very good atomiser plug -in mossie repellant for the rooms, also plentiful creams and sprays, all very cheap.

Odomos and Citronella being popular, but i prefer a repellant with Deet ingredient. Tesco do a very good wipe, does'nt choke you like the spray can do.

Dont sit around foliage or stagnant water, the little blighters love that bit of grating aound swimming pools. Leave off the perfume. You may find it rather humid in April, so long sleeves may be too much so apply often if you are prone to bites.

A bit of research on here for things to do and see, then you can do it all independently, would never use the travel "rep".

Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Worries!!!

1. Carry GBP - you will save on the exchange commission you would pay if you convert to USD..

2. Visa and MasterCard work almost everywhere..... but remember you will have to pay a withdrawl fee whenever you withdraw cash from the ATM.

Pl see some earlier posts on the subject for more clarity

Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Worries!!!

you may have your money converted in rupees as exchange rates were quoted by roadside stalls varies ,april is too humid,so 26+spf sun tan cream is must ,hence no long sleeves required,repellent sprays or cream too b carried.an umbrella for sun,a big summer hat b also required.NO NEED to pop up any tip at the airport,its Government authority which controls the airport mgmt,you may have restricted choice for foods as the seasons shacks and some rests make their hearth closed

Level Contributor
1,108 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Worries!!!

we went easter last year and going this year same ish time.

mossies, i use sss avon just as out of shower -then odomus (india repelant) and spray boots stuff with deet afterwards! seems alot i know but mostly on my arms and legs,feet. dont use much perfume. loose cotton clothing. i do take linen trs,but in sorts mostly.

ATM -for money and visa card just in case.

10. Re: Money Worries!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Calangute