We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paludrine/avloclor - Side Effects

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Paludrine/avloclor - Side Effects

Like a good girl, I along with my family began taking the tablets a week before we set off and at first all was fine. On the first week, one or two of us were suffering with slight tummy upsets and silly, silly me, I once took my tablets before eating on the second week. Never again! I spent the morning in bed although fortunately, pain was all I experienced. On the third week, I had stomach cramps every morning and then I started getting blurred vision. On the last week of our holiday, most of us stopped taking the tablets because we just couldn't tolerate the side effects any longer. When I spoke to other travellers; some who were on their 10th holiday in Goa, most said they only took the tablets the first time they went to Goa, but haven't since and it seemed that many people found the side effects detrimental to their holiday. I don't advocate people take the risk and I am sure many people will tolerate them but I have to say, that if I am to return to Goa, I won't be one of them!

My husband and I took Malarone last year for our trip to Kenya and it didn't cause any problems for us, but now a week later, I am still experiencing the odd cramp or two! Has anyone else had pains a week after stopping taking Paludrine/avloclor?

Edited: 06 January 2011, 21:04
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paludrine/avloclor - Side Effects

No, and I've never had any side effects from them either. I'm sorry you've had such an adverse reaction to them. The majority of people take them with no trouble at all, but when they do affect someone, it seems fairly drastic.

I think it's pretty daft not to take any anti-malarials, personally, so for you I guess Malarone is a better bet. Also best to try to make sure you don't get bitten in the first place!

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paludrine/avloclor - Side Effects

Anecdotal advice is no substitute for good health advice...

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paludrine/avloclor - Side Effects

I was fine with them and will be taking then again next month. The wife however had hallucinations, vivid nightmares and skin rashes so she'll be taking Malarone this time.

4. Re: Paludrine/avloclor - Side Effects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Calangute
Recent Conversations