We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Wales
Level Contributor
558 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

Never been before, never been long haul before! Only just reached the stage where our children (grown up now) are old enough for us to holiday without them. For the last couple of years we've done Prague (twice, fantastic!), Krakow, Budapest, Barcelona.

So, after listening to a friend who raves about Goa, we're taking the plunge.

We're looking at Calangute next January 10th for a week (work prevents longer) and the Mira hotel which I understand is a 1 star.

Now we wouldn't normally consider a 1 star but the reviews on here are so good that I think we'll go for it.

Anyone got any opinions on our choice of resort and hotel you're very welcome to offer them.

We are both young 50 year olds, like eating out, a few beers (me more than my wife!) bit of entertainment at night, maybe sightseeing/culture in the day. Don't mind spending money, like I say, we would normally go 3 or 4 star but the reviews swing it.

Look forward to your replies, thanks.

Oh! you can probably tell from my name, I love curry!

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

You'll be right in the heart of the action and the Mira has a great thai/chinese restaurant called the Oriental. I can also recomend the Tibetan Kitchen restaurant so if you come out of the hotel take a left to the crossroads and another left down towards the beach until you see the sign for the restaurant. The food and ambiance is fantastic.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

hi curry its a long way for a week get extra leg room,,or prem, if you can find it, cheaper , than the 250 ish pounds which you can if you look around,, a week will be ok for you you may not like goa,,,,one thing is for shore,,,,if you look at some of the postes on this site,,like t he goa dirty one thats just come on the forom,,,, you will love it or hate it,,

Scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

Your hotel is very basic but it does have a lovely garden round the back, with a nice little pool. The best bit though is the restaurant - it's run by a German and his Thai wife. It's one of our favourites in that area.

You may find the beach overcrowded but if you walk south (left) you will find gaps where there is more space. Look out for Pete's Shack - it's quite a walk from Calangute, but the food is superb and the toilets are spotless. You'll know when you are there - he keeps a wide open, empty space in front of the shack.

Try to get away for a day and head up to Ashvem beach between Morjim and Mandrem - again you'll find some open space and some nice shacks.

Have a look here - …photobucket.com/albums/…

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

Hi, we visited the mirs last december and they gave us a tour of the hotel and rooms, also asked some of the guests and they never had a bad word to say, so we booked it and arrive on 27/03/11. been to a few hotels over the years and last december we stayed at the hotel osborne in calangute. it was fantastic entertainment on every evening, 3 pools & bars great staff.

Oh by the way having payed alot more the mira is now on sale with thomas cook on the same flight as us 27/03/11 for £ 320.00 each ... gutted

england
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

i`ve stopped at the mira for the past 4 years and wouldn`t stop any where else , its like home from home to me it may not be 5 star but you certainly get 5 star treatment in my eyes , go for it !!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

Never been to the Mira but I am sure you will be fine, most hotels are basic but they are clean and you will be in the centre of it, which seems to be what you are looking for. You will only be in the hotel to shower and sleep probably like we are. January in my opinion is the best time to go, its hot, hot in the day, cooler in the evenings and less mossies. I am sure you will love it :)

Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

hi im flying out next sunday 27th march to the Paradise Village which i believe is only aout 5 mins from Mira hotel. However two of my friends go this sunday 20th to Mira so if you can hang fire for a few weeks ill let you know what they say about it.

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

Couple of things to add. No one seems to have mentioned just how different Goa will be to what you have alredy experienced. Not trying to put you off but you need to be aware of how basic Goa is.

As this is your first trip and you are only planning a week you need to be aware you will be tired after the journey.

We have been going to Goa for many years and have done a couple of trips for only one week and I can tell you it is very tiring and we just slobbed on the beach.

Finally my most important piece of advice. Goa can be highly addictive despite all its faults. Be prepared to be bitten by the Goa bug.

Edited: 18 March 2011, 23:50
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

I've also done a couple of trips to India, including Goa, for just a week and didn't find it in the least bit tiring!! See, you get all different points of view on this forum as Bren990 had a totally different experience.

In the space of a week, including a Goan first time visitor, we based ourselves in Cavelossim, had an overnighter in a beach hut at Patnem, stayed overnight with friends who live near the airport (arriving late night to join them for their church's Easter Vigil service and sepnding all Easter Sunday at their home), trips into Margao for optician visits and to go to the market there, a vist to Old Goa too, plus plenty of time on the beach! Also went to Bogmalofinal night for dinner with friends and stayed overnight with them (again) before our very early check in at the airport, less than 10 minutes drive from their house.

Personally, I probably do less visiting for longer ...

You can pack a lot into a week and still have time to relax and loll around the beach

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So we are planning our first trip to Goa..

londonraffles,

My hat off to you sir. Far more energy than me or my OH.

As you say different perspectives for different people.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute