We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anti malaria tablets

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kent
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
anti malaria tablets

hi all off to castle house for 2nd time in march for 3 wks woo hoo!! i was thinking off getting my tablets there but im a bit worried they might be dogdy has anyone had any problems ( and lived to tell the tale lol)thanks paul

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anti malaria tablets

Hi Paul,

I've been buying my anti-malaria and other medications in Goa for 15 yrs without incident and I have complete confidence in the local chemists.... but then who knows, maybe I've never been bitten by an infected mozzie.

kent
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: anti malaria tablets

exactly what i was thinking ! thanks

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anti malaria tablets

They are totaly ineffective,the pharmacists only sell them to gullible tourists.Try to find one Indian person that takes them....

John

Southampton
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: anti malaria tablets

I've been going to Goa for 10 years with no Malaria tablets, so maybe my way worked too?

Who knows which tablets work?

I am not for one minute suggesting you do the same! It's each to their own!

Edited: 16 February 2012, 19:44
Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anti malaria tablets

Same here Hantslad we haven't taken them for over 15 years of coming here,and we don't know anyone that takes them anymore.But everyone has to make their own decision whether to take the tablets..

John

kent
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: anti malaria tablets

thanks for your replys ill have to think about it

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anti malaria tablets

There is malaria in Goa, I've been going for 18 years, Goa used to be a low risk area and I never took anti malarials. However, with more imigrant workers in Goa more cases were reported a few years ago, especially the more dangerous strain form of malaria plasmodium falciparum. The anti malarials sold in Goa do not cover this strain.

This is why I now take Malarone.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anti malaria tablets

Our GP advises you start taking them a week before you depart so buying them when you arrive there as far as our family is concerned is not even a starter. The low cost for a 2 weeks stay ( 5weeks dosage) is so low only fools would not buy them here unless for medical reasons.

Best regards

John

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anti malaria tablets

Anyone who does not take anti malarials is risking DEATH,malaria is endemic in Goa including Falciparum malaria,i personaly have had 2 british friends die of malaria,one this year in March after a 2 week holiday,the people who say dont take them are at the best ill advised or at the worse just plain stupid to give what is just ridiculouse advise,do not risk your life take anti malarials,and yes they CAN be got here,chloroquine and proguanil(used together) and also doxycycline,Malarone is not available

kent
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: anti malaria tablets

thanks everyone we got tablets today it just aint worth the risk

Get answers to your questions about Calangute