We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets - side effects

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets - side effects

We're off to Goa for the first time on Sunday and although I'm looking forward to it I am having trouble with these malaria tablets.

I took the 2 Avloclor and 2 Paludrine on Sunday night and 4 hours later was violently sick. I carried on and took the two Paludrine on Monday and Tuesday but I have a head ache, feel sick and really out of sorts. Are these the side effects & do they wear off the longer I take them? I really don't want to feel like this on my holiday. I am also worried about taking the other avloclor on Sunday in case it was them that caused it as I don't really want to be violently sick again on the aeroplane.

Any advice?

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

Try taking them with food and if that doesn't work then you might have to change to Malarone or something else. My wife has the same side effects along with nightmares when she can sleep, insomnia, hallucinations and stomach cramps! This is with the same tablets what you have started taking but I can take them with no problems. My wife will not take them now (she's an adult and its her decision) as she doesn't want these symptoms to spoil her holiday, she reacts to every type including Malarone. Try and sort it out before.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

I have the same symptoms as Stalex's wife, although o.k. with Malarone. Obviously your decision whether to change to Malarone. Why not speak to the nurse or doctor at your practice for advice. Rather risky not to take anything though, IMO. I didn't get bitten at all this year, except for sand flies, but still wouldn't risk it next time.

Droitwich, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

I take anti malarial tablets for a non related condition on a daily basis- and as Stalex says the trick is never to take them on an empty stomach, they do make you violently ill.

If that does not help things settle then speak to your practice nurse about alternatives.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

I agree shassa, I get bitten all the time and have to take them to be on the safe side. My daughter takes Malarone paediatric with luckily no side effects at all but doesn't get bitten at all. The wife always starts taking them (Malarone last year) and then stops when the side effects become too much. Shame really.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

thanks for your replies, yes Sunday was on an empty stomach as I thought if I took them when I went to bed any side effects would happen when I was asleep, didn't expect to be sick though :-( so Monday and yesterday I took them after dinner but still feel bad today.

I shall call my GP and ask about the Malarone thanks.I always get bitten on holiday so I'd rather be safe and take something.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

The cheapest Malarone, I think, are £2.15 at Brennans online. Free P&P. I am sure someone will advise if they have found cheaper. Only takes a couple of days from receipt of prescription to receive tablets. You will need a doctors prescription. Most will only give a private one, which, of course, adds to the cost.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

I don't take Malaria tablets because I also have problems with them. I now just make sure that I have a good insect repellent with me and always use it even on the soles of my feet.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

I would take something too...I'm always bitten no matter how much anti-mosquito repellent I spray over me. I remember my doctor saying there was some anti-malarial drug that should not be taken just before you lie down. I can't remember which one it was now. I also just did a quick google on Avloclor and Paludrine and you should not take them on an empty stomach. I think you should talk to your doctor and, in fact, they should have advised how you should take the medication in the first place. If the doctor didn't tell you then the pharmacist should have given advice. As to cost of the medication - I would pay anything. Malaria is not a trivial disease, it can be fatal.

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

My nurse has advised me to take some anti sickness tablets if I feel sick when starting my anti malaria tablets, asit hey made me feel I'll last time I had them. I'm trying a different anti malaria tablet this time so fingers crossed as I start taking mine on Friday.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria tablets - side effects

Cant take A and P because I have psoriasis, makes me have an horrendous flair up taking up to a year to go, Malarone makes me talk to people that arent there. I dont take them but am very aware of the symptoms of Malaria. I rarely get bitten as I go more for bite prevention.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute