We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making A Hard Decision

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Making A Hard Decision

Hi everyone.

I am booking to go to Calangute in November this year, but I cannot decide which hotel to book into.

I understand that this is a third World Country and I am not expecting the Ritz, but, the reviews on this site are frustrating.

Just when you think you have found a nice hotel the reviews start going down hill and this puts me off.

I am only wanting a hotel as a base as we will be spending most of the holiday exploring around the area, but we would like one with a pool for the odd quick dip.

Can Anyone help, please?

Uttoxeter, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making A Hard Decision

Try Sonesta Inn in Candolim nice setting close to beach

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making A Hard Decision

Well as you are finding out it's all personal preference and horses for courses but if you want to be in Calangute then I would say look at The Osbourne Resort, The Somy Resort , The Santa Monica, or The Mira

Edited: 05 May 2012, 22:27
goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making A Hard Decision

Excuse me but India is no longer a third world country...we are a developing country....we can put rockets in space..., build power plants...have great war ships...the only thing we are not good at is building roads....LOLS

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making A Hard Decision

Have a look at the Ticlo Resorts right in the heart of Calangute, it's close to all shops, bars and restaurants. It also has a small pool for those cooling off dips during the heat of the day. The service is good and the staff are very friendly, another plus is the good food and cheap prices.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making A Hard Decision

The trouble is a lot of the "hotels" only let out rooms or apartments that are privately owned so the standards vary from one room to another, some be can be very basic if the owner only uses the rooms as an out of season crash pad for the family and regards a solid core mattress on a bed as a luxury ,where as Europeans are more used to sprung mattress and soft pillows

The standards are slowly getting better as the owners are finding they need to upgrade the rooms and use descent equipment to attract discerning tourists and compete against the new hotels now opening also you have to remember Goa was mainly for backpackers only a very short time ago

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making A Hard Decision

Have a look at the ticlo resorts, as sed before its in the centre of everything, food is lovely here, as are the staff, room was spacious and cleaned daily, wud definatly recommend this hotel

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making A Hard Decision

garry,u better of in a nice goan guest house,,and i got the one for u,,, GABRIALS,GUEST,HOUSE in calangute,,,with a loverly family who you can trust well,,,its got no pool but the beach 5 minn walk,away,its a good base ,u could leave enything with gabrial,,with no probs,,we been going a long time,,,never eny,probs,,look,on the trip add site ,he is there,,with the last to seasons being a bit short of us forniners,theres a lot of indians saying there now but no probs, this is india, and most are good fun,,,,take a look,,bye

Edited: 06 May 2012, 12:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making A Hard Decision

gary I would say try the Ticlo resorts as bindoobaba says really central in Calangute - the rooms are basic but clean. The food from the restaurant is also good & reasonably priced as well as the bar. Although don't hold out hope for the breakfast but there are loads of other places to grab a better one.

I normally stay in the Mira but this year spent 3 weeks at the Ticlo & found the staff lovely & will stay there again.

Boo

Edited: 06 May 2012, 14:30
Surrey
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making A Hard Decision

We stay at the Ronil Beach Resort in Baga, has two pools, serves great food, 5 mins walk to the beach and close to loads of restaurants, bars, shops and stalls selling all sorts.

It will all depend on how busy you like things so perhaps choose the area you wish to stay and go from there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making A Hard Decision

We have stayed at the Osborne the last few years as its in a good location but as Welloutofit says, the rooms vary greatly as a lot are privately owned.

what annoys me is the first couple of years we had very nice rooms and then when we kept coming back they started to give us grotty ones lol. We kick up a fuss though and always get better ones. The reception staff can be a tad unhelpful at times but then we complain to Thomas Cook and they always get us moved. We are staying there again in January. I like the Osborne, its clean and the staff apart from reception are very good, its pretty central but off the main road so pretty quiet, well apart from the rooster and the dogs but thats par for the course.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute
Recent Conversations