We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scooter and helmet

Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
scooter and helmet

my husband is going to rent a scooter when we go to Goa next year in march.

He will take a IDP so, that is not a problem.

My question is, do BOTH, driver and passanger (that would be me, sitting in the back) need to wear a helmet, or, only the driver.

Also, is a helmet still compulsory, if we just drive from the hotel in arpora to the main market in calangute, or, is a helmet only needed when we drive from Calangut to a main city, like Margao, on the highway, for example.

What is the likely cause that the police will stop one, even though, one is not speeding.

Thanks for all your help.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scooter and helmet

Crash helmets are only compulsory on the main highways, you will be fine driving from Arpora to Baga, Calangute etc.

Although you will have an IDP you will still need to carry your driving license (although I would say a copy would be good enough).

The chance of being stopped by the Police are 50/50, if you are stopped it'll be mostly for them to 'fine' you.

Mentioned in this post
Arpora
Arpora
North Goa District, India
Baga Beach
Baga Beach
3,843 Reviews
Baga, India
Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scooter and helmet

I understand, but, do BOTH, driver and passanger need to wear a helmet or only the driver (on the highway)

Thank you

Varanasi
Level Contributor
607 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scooter and helmet

Always wear a helmet . Its not compulsory only , but infact it can save your life. Both should wear if you have !!

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scooter and helmet

The law stupidly says that only the driver needs to wear a helmet on the highway.

Wolf

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scooter and helmet

but contrary to a previous post

it is the law in India that the driver wears a crash helmet

AT ALL TIMES

not just on specific roads

but the police only enforce this law when their brother in law has some helmets for sale

i have seen them in Madurai confiscate the bike until the driver comes back with a helmet

but you might just be a bit silly not wearing one on the pillion,

the condition of roads mean a very bumpy ride for the passenger

Mentioned in this post
Madurai
Madurai
Madurai District, India
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scooter and helmet

Yes; it's not really about 'what you can get away with'; it's about staying safe. If you wouldn't ride a motorcycle in the UK without a helmet, why take the chance in foreign climes; when if you do suffer an accident the chances are it will have more far reaching consequence than at home. I appreciate some supplies of scooters may not even offer helmets.

Stay safe!

Varanasi
Level Contributor
607 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scooter and helmet

Life is important man. Don't look what others do , just be safe yourself !!

Castlederg
Level Contributor
555 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scooter and helmet

As a word of caution, if you are not experenced in bike riding, be extra cautious. If you can ride a proper bike (rather than a scooter) I find it much safer. My oh dosent like scooters, says v uncomfortable and bouncey. From the riders point of view, a bike has better brakes, lights, suspension, and more power 2 pull urself out of trouble. Rember 2 take ur helmets with you when leaving bike/scooter, or you may find them gone.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scooter and helmet

as Bindoobaba Says if the Police do stop you have some spare Cash in a pocket you will be O.K. enjoy

we go in March & will be Hiring a Scooter as always ,,

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scooter and helmet

We always get our scooters with helmets and wear them, we get some funny looks from the locals but who cares. We get open face helmets and its worth taking pairs of goggles with you if you plain riding at dusk. Lots of tiny insects waiting to fly into your eyes lol

Get answers to your questions about Calangute