We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruppee exchange beware!!!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ruppee exchange beware!!!

Just tried to exchange £70 for Rupees @ 103.75 to the pound at the Cashew shop,50 yards to the right of Oceanic restaurant in Calengute (same side of the road), he tried to short change me out of 1000 Rupees, when I picked him up on it, he threw my 70 quid back. I let him know that I would pop a note on here.

They have 5 cashew nut shops around, BEWARE.

nottingham
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

same thing happend to me last year at the levi shop in calangute , you have to be very carefull, iam sure theres plenty of genuine exchanges out there but it does seem a lot are out to cheat you..

Castlederg
Level Contributor
542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

Loads of them are at it. What they try to do is, give u piles of smaller notes so you find it hard to keep count of what there at. If u want an honest money man. Try a small jewelerey shop next door to A.Js store opposite johnnys chemest or elephant shop.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

We were out in Goa in dec and we heard a few stories along the same line. We did go there before we heard the stories but OH kept an eye on him all the time he tries to count out in 50s to 10 instead of 100 to 10

Norwich, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

Another honest man who told us about this scam a few years ago is Raj, his shop is called Shoe Designs and it's on the main road from calangute to candolim underneath the Kamat Hotel.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

We changed our money here, no problem, he counts it all out in front of you and shows you the calculator as proof, he does all of this in front of you.

swinton
Level Contributor
202 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

We have used the jewlers opposite Johnny's for the last few years and have never had a problem he's one of the most honest guy you will ever meet we met a few people last year sat outside the rock cafe who had been ripped off by the shop down the side of the rock think its a tailors shop so be careful .we are back in a couple of weeks and I know where we will be changing our rupees

swinton
Level Contributor
202 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

We have used the jewlers opposite Johnny's for the last few years and have never had a problem he's one of the most honest guy you will ever meet we met a few people last year sat outside the rock cafe who had been ripped off by the shop down the side of the rock think its a tailors shop so be careful .we are back in a couple of weeks and I know where we will be changing our rupees

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

The best way is to work out what you should be getting before you change any and count it yourself before leaving

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

We always use the Elephant Shop in Candolim. Been going there for years.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ruppee exchange beware!!!

I always watch them count the rupees, then I count them in front of them before I hand over the pound notes. That way if there is a shortage they have no excuses.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute