We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
140 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Just back from our 3rd trip to Goa, we've only stayed in the Horizon Hotel in Calangute when we've been so thought better the devil you know.

I hope you're sitting down reading this because you're going to be shocked by what you read.

Nobody got their bag snatched.

Nobody tried to rip us off.

The Russians didn't bother us in the slightest, in fact, some of them were nice!!!!

Nobody got Delhi belly or ill in any way.

The food was as good if not better than before.

The hotel was spotlessly clean.

The new airport is fantastic.

Ok fair do's I was lying about the last one because they really seem to have made a real effort to transfer that pure incompetance they had at the old place, to the new one. But everything else was absolutely great, in fact it was our best trip ever.

I know some people have bad luck and it's good to report that on here so people are aware, but just for balance I want to make it clear that those kind of things are rare. We never felt unsafe or intimidated and basically had an absolutely brilliant time and met some lovely people.

I hardly ever see the Horizon Hotel in Calangute mentioned on here, and I really thought we'd be the only Brits there, but the place was 75% Brits and it was a real family atmosphere. Clean sheets and towels every day and basic but spotlessly clean rooms. Bar prices the same or less than outside bars and the food is absolutely to divine, as good as the restaurants everyone loves. I feared the worst with the wifi when it was £6 for the 2 weeks. But it was as good as our wifi at home, totally perfect for Facetime which is usually the problem on holiday so we didn't use a phone once. We spoke to several couples who've been going for 20 years and they said it's the best place they've stayed on balance for what you get so we'll be sticking here in future.

So if any first timers or even veterans are worried about how it's gone down the pan, don't be, it hasn't. The place is still absolutely fantastic and we're already planning our next visit.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 06:15
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Glad you enjoyed your first trip to Goa Yvonne. It sounds as though you'll soon be rebooking for next year ;-)

42. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 13:52
Leeds
Level Contributor
570 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Hy , our first holiday in Goa was at the Horizon it was a lovely hotel with fabulas staff ,very clean rooms and in a great location .We are looking for our 5th holiday to gorgeous Goa

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Sounds great was starting to worry with all the negative reviews not going till Xmas and staying in Osborne hotel but this review has made me feel better

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

This is shocking! I hope you received compensation?

While I haven't been to this resort, I have been south many times and have also never encountered any problems apart from which meal to order.

Perhaps the brochures should add something to the small print along the lines that you should be prepared to have a wonderful, relaxing time?

New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

hahaha Nice post.anyway i am so excited about my first scuba dive in Goa.

Check out this package-

www.365hops.com/social/event_detail.php…

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Hope you find something to see for your money! in the flilthy cloudy sea in Goa..not good for scuba diving!!

Margao, India
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Grande Island a pleasant trip but skip the snorkeling, visibility is poor, the sea is quite rough and there are few fish and no coral....

49. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Calangute
Recent Conversations