We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito

Cardiff
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito

Can someone recommend a good mosquito repellent to buy in Goa? The little blighters love us so need to be one step ahead! ;)

Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito

Odomos

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito

If they really love you, buy repellent in the uk. Odomos never stops them biting me. I use Mosiguard Extra which doesn't contain deet, or Boots tropical strength repellent which is 50% deet. Plus plug-ins for the room.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito

I've used Autan Tropical for years, used to be able to buy it in Boots & Wilko but they don't seem to stock it anymore. I bought the last lot from Amazon.

I tried Boots Tropical repellent and hated the smell.

You can but the anti-mozzie liquid plug-ins very cheaply in Goa, we have one in every socket there is in the room.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito

Thanks everyone... I'm on the case x

Ashton-in-Makerfield...
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito

We've just come back from Candolim and only used Avon Skin So Soft Original and neither of us got bitten at all. I did take some Repel 55, and used it at Cola Beach, as there were millions of the blighter there.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito

Avon S-S-S does not have any proven or claimed mosquito repellent properties.

I've used it for almost 20 years (before it was repackaged as dry oil) but would never rely on it as a mozzie repellent on it's own.

See my reply #5 in this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k7…

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito

I normally use Jungle Formula high deet concentrate in Goa.

However in Mexico this year I used only odomos and only got 1 bite (my own fault as didn't apply my cream in time when we were having a few sundowners). I love the new formula of odomos unlike the dreadful smell it used to have 12 years ago it actually smells OK and does moisturize your skin whereas I find jungle formula dries the skin. Try both :0)

Ashton-in-Makerfield...
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito

PPP, I know there is no proof that Avon SSS is not formulated as mosquito repellant, but before I started using it, I used to get eaten alive. However, for the past 18 years or so, my husband and I have used it all over Europe and now in Goa, and have seldomly been bitten, and as I said above, I did not get a single bight while using it in Goa.

We took anti-malarials, used plug-ins and room spray in the rooms, so were not irresponsible. I was only saying what worked for us.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito

Yvonne

I wasn't getting at you so I apologise if you thought I was.

Just thought it worth mentioning in case anyone thought Avon S-S-S was 'proper' mosquito repellent

Everybody has to take responsibility for their own health and what suits some people doesn't suit others.

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito

home bargain ebay or b+m ''xpel'' spray with deet is all you need at £1.50 a bottle.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 18:54
Get answers to your questions about Calangute
Recent Conversations