We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money changing

England, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
money changing

I went to goa last Christmas and stayed in calangute,as I do each year.this time I was surprised how many new money changing shops had popped up. one in particular next to chick and fish in calangute road,i changed £100 and went and sat down at chick and fish,an old friend owns it called rocky,i checked the money and there was 1000rs short ,I went back and the owner was waiting with the 1000rs,no apology.rocky and his staff said they are doing it on a regular basis,on another instant a money changers on the otherside of the road tried a similar scam but I was wise to it by then,just be aware they seem to be getting away with it with the Russians who are a bit baffled by the money

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money changing

Why anyone would not count their money before leaving a money changer not just in India but anywhere in the world is beyond me !

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money changing

So you waited 8 months before warning everyone?

And as the previous poster says, why would you not count the money before leaving the shop?

Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: money changing

Well I for one thank you for taking the time to post this worthwhile info. Thumbs up from me. :)

Castlederg
Level Contributor
542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money changing

You have to watch them slippy fingered b*****ds. There is a small jewelers nxt door to A.Js opposite johnnys chemist, he is an honest bloke, also elephant shop in candolim is a straight up guy.

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money changing

Hi

If you change at the shoe shop next to Johnny's check your money. The place is called ARSONS and has been nicknamed the Crooked Cobbler .Don't be fooled by the shops that have counting machines. In fact make them turn the pile around and count the opposite way as well .A favourite trick is to have notes folded in half. A "friend" that works in Kamaski Forex opposite Royal Foods demonstrated the method to me one day when they were not very busy to make me aware how it was done.

I agree with GaryB re the Jeweler next to Ajay Cold Drinks he is on our trustworthy list also

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money changing

When i come to the North i always go to Kamaski Forex opposite Royal Foods, We've Been going there a few years now since Bruahy recommend them to me.Thanks Brauhy :-)) Gel

Edited: 09 August 2014, 14:26
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money changing

What advice do you give re. Money is it best to take cash to change or is it better yo go money out of a atm assuming there is some?

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money changing

Hi

The choice is yours. Generally you can get a better rate on the street than from the ATM plus no charges. But then there is the risk of "loosing" the money although as long as you follow sensible precautions that risk is minimised. It has been known also for ATM's to go down just when you need them not to or they can run out of money and if they refuse you or keep your card now that can be a problem if you are on holiday.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money changing

Hi margaret

I would suggest that you just change £10 at a time,by doing this you will know straight away if you are a thousand missing. If you do this ten times then you will have succesfully changed£100 pounds,or alternatively you could try counting your money before you leave the shop,either method works equally well .failing this you could always try a recomended money changer ( lol)

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money changing

Good thinking. So you are recomending bringing cash not hole in the wall card.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute