We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cab from tampin station

singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
cab from tampin station

another question. we are planning to go by train, ie stopping at Tampin station. Is it easy to get a cab from there? What about travelling time? How much do you think the fare will cost if travelliing to (1) riveria resort at tanjong kling, (2) city centre?

thanks a mil

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cab from tampin station

Hi Chia,

Are you sure you want to take a train? The journey is long! There are many 16 and 25 seater buses to Melaka these days (707, transtar, grassland) taking under 4.5 hours.

Taxi from Tampin to town or Riviera Bay (changed to Everly Hotel) will cost at least RM40.

If you are taking a late night or early morning train, you may not get any taxi at the station.

singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cab from tampin station

Hi Alex

Thanks for your speedy response. Well, the train ride will provide a different form of experience for the kids, and since we will be travelling first class this time round, it will be for me too! I heard that KTM's first class is really comfy!

Since I will be arriving Tampin in mid-day, I presume there should be no problems with cabs? Btw, how far is the train station from the town centre?

As for the coaches, all malacca-bound ones leave at night. Call me a paranoid, but I don't fancy overnight travelling in a coach. Ha ha

Thanks!

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cab from tampin station

Hi Chia,

Since you want to try the train journey, you can just buy one way. You can take it for the return journey as most coaches going back to Singapore have to endure traffic jam at causeway link. Booking online ticket in Ringgit saves you a lot of money.

http://www.ktmb.com.my/

You can buy 707 (journey 3.5 hours non stop) at Queen Street, Transtar or Grassland at Beach Road (journey takes 4 hours). These buses usually also have morning and afternoon trips so you don't have to arrive at night.

singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cab from tampin station

Since you want to try the train journey, you can just buy one way. You can take it for the return journey as most coaches going back to Singapore have to endure traffic jam at causeway link. Booking online ticket in Ringgit saves you a lot of money.

http://www.ktmb.com.my/

You can buy 707 (journey 3.5 hours non stop) at Queen Street, Transtar or Grassland at Beach Road (journey takes 4 hours). These buses usually also have morning and afternoon trips so you don't have to arrive at night

Hi Alex

Thanks for the tip. I will check on the coaches. Taking a trip by train and one by coach sounds like a good idea. You sound like a very experienced traveller, so from your experience, which coach service is the most comfortable?

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cab from tampin station

Hi Chia,

707 has the oldest buses and costs only SGD15. However it is still spacious and comfortable. The best thing about it is that there is no stop at Yong Peng which serves awful food at high prices (RM5-RM6 for noodle / rice). The journey usually takes only 3.5 hours.

Both Transtar and Grassland services to Melaka are not much different as they have a stop in Yong Peng and there is no serving of food or drink on board. Ticket is around SGD18 - SGD23.

Pick the bus most convenience for your travel plan. Either of them are fine.

singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cab from tampin station

Thanks again, Alex. I just found one starting from Kovan, which I like because it is much nearer my house. So I have decided to go by coach and return by train. The train charges are so funny. if I book SIN-Tampin-SIN, I pay double just for the trip home because they charge in S$,but if i book only the Tampin-SIN ticket, I pay the same amount but in RM. That's a lot of savings indeed!

BTW, how far away is the coach interchange (is this the Malacca Sentral?) from the town centre? I can't seem to find the station in any of the maps online (except the one at malaka.net which shows the local and express bus stations which I understand are closed already?) Where is the coach station located?

How far away if the town centre from the Ayer Keroh area? How much do you think a cab ride will cost?

Thanks again!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cab from tampin station

hi chia and alex,

have been reading your questions and alex's reply as we are also planning a trip to melaka by bus from KL.

alex, am interested in your help with chia's question....

BTW, how far away is the coach interchange (is this the Malacca Sentral?) from the town centre? I can't seem to find the station in any of the maps online (except the one at malaka.net which shows the local and express bus stations which I understand are closed already?) Where is the coach station located?

thanks.

june

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cab from tampin station

Hi Chia and June,

The Melaka Sentral which is 3 kms from town centre and probably 10kms from Air Keroh (the recreation area and zoo along the state highway to north south highway toll to SIN and KL).

The Melaka Sentral is the most modern and comfortable bus terminal in Malaysia for intra state and inter state buses (eg to KL and SIN). It is air conditioned with variety of shops and restaurant cafes. You can find tourist info centre, money changers and the Hop On and Off stop. The only shame is the local or intra state buses are in old and run down conditioned. You can take town bus 17 to Dutch Square and Mahkota Parade and bus to Air Keroh.

However, I recommend to buy the hop on and off bus from here to your hotel as taxi can be a rip off for a 15 min journey at RM15 (need to bargain too if you are quoted higher than this).

There are Panorama Bus and Double Decker Red Bus as hop on and off buses. The former circling the historical site only costs RM2 for adults for a whole day! The RM5 pass will cover Air Keroh and other Melaka attractions. Since I haven't taken these buses, there are web sites that say Panaorma buses only costs RM2 for historical and outskirt pass.

The Double Decker Red bus from the UK will cover historical area at RM5 for the whole day. Try it at least once as seeing it at higher level, you will see some of the beautiful facades of old town Melaka better than on street car level.

…blogspot.com/2007/09/touring-melaka-histori…

www.tourism-melaka.com/panoramaroutes.pdf

singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cab from tampin station

Thanks Alex for the link to the bus routes. The double decker bus sounds like a good alternative to walking indeed. I saw a Portugese Kampong / Portugese Square (bus stop 10) in the map. Is that the area you mentioned in the "food" post? ie for the open air portugese food?

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cab from tampin station

Alex,

thanks for the helpful info re the bus station.

just to clarify, the ride on the double decker red bus (hop on and off) can be bought and used from this bus station at a cost of $5/day?

looking forward to this side trip to melaka...we'll probably also book into the aldy hotel for an overnight stay

only 10 days before we leave for KL!