We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Paradise Island Resort Pulau Besar melaka?

London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone been to Paradise Island Resort Pulau Besar melaka?

Has anyone been to this resort recently? (Formerly known as the Putera island Resort)

What is the accomodation and the beach like?

Would you recommend we stay here for 1-2 nights in combination with a trip to melacca if we would like to spend a few days in a beach resort in december?

Or are there any other beachresorts on this island (or close to melaka / KL) you would recommend?

Thanks so much for your help.

P.S. we realise pangkor Laut, or langkawi may be nicer, but they are pretty full and we're ideally looking for something closer to KL or melaka.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to Paradise Island Resort Pulau Besar melaka?

Hi Vogel,

Unfortunately the former Putera Island Beach Resort was badly managed, I don't think the new management will be better. Because many local Malays are too laid back to the point of being lazy and ignorant. Hotel staff outside the city tend to not care about the job, for instance those of Famosa Resort , Watercity, Everly (my first job many years ago)

While the water in Pulau Besar is better than mainland, the beach is poorly maintained. Food is another concern. I am afraid if you stay for a couple of nights, you will have no decent food and no entertainment at night. Our Malacca government tries very hard to promote tourism but they can't change the attitude of hotel managers and local staff who come from villages with little knowledge of English and customer service.

Some resorts in Port Dickson should be not bad. It is mid way between KL and Malacca. I would expect the whole place to be very busy too.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to Paradise Island Resort Pulau Besar melaka?

Hi Vogel,

Unfortunately the former Putera Island Beach Resort was badly managed, I don't think the new management will be better. Because many local Malays are too laid back to the point of being lazy and ignorant. Hotel staff outside the city tend to not care about the job, for instance those of Famosa Resort , Watercity, Everly (my first job many years ago)

While the water in Pulau Besar is better than mainland, the beach is poorly maintained. Food is another concern. I am afraid if you stay for a couple of nights, you will have no decent food and no entertainment at night. Our Malacca government tries very hard to promote tourism but they can't change the attitude of hotel managers and local staff who come from villages with little knowledge of English and customer service.

Some resorts in Port Dickson should be not bad. It is mid way between KL and Malacca. I would expect the whole place to be very busy too.

London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to Paradise Island Resort Pulau Besar melaka?

Thanks Alex! Doesn't sound good. Thanks for making sure we don't waste our valuable travel time! We're looking into Port Dickson, but as you said looks like the best places to stay there are pretty full.

We're now thinking of skipping the beach plan altogether and maybe making a trip out to see the fireflies in Kuala Selangor instead.. thanks again

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone been to Paradise Island Resort Pulau Besar melaka?

I agree with Alex. In fact not only at Pulau Besar but everywhere in Malaysia due to poor attitude of management and staff unless they are managed by foreigner generally. Firefly at Kuala Selangor is not much different. It was really good 10 years ago but recently the number of firefly is diminishing.

Anybody who has been there recently to help Vogel1?

London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone been to Paradise Island Resort Pulau Besar melaka?

Thanks Lambtravel.

We have since returned from our holiday and were pretty glad we decided against Pulau Besar, based on our opinion of Port Dickson, which we just drove trough apart from a quick stop for lunch...

For anyone picking up this forum thread because of the mentions of Port Dickson or Firefly. Here our verdict on both:

Port Dickson was largely abandonned when we drove through and was not a place where we would want to spend time.. Many resorts seemed to have closed down / looked rather run down... The corus Resort where we stopped for lunch was not too bad...And probably an OK place to spend a night, but the beach was not very nice and the whole place just felt very deserted.

We personally enjoyed our trip out to see the fireflies in Kuala Selangor. I can't compare it to 10 years ago, but we thought it was still a unique, magical experience and worth it for those wanting to make some excursion out of KL, but with too little time to venture away from KL to far...I would say it is worth spending one night here (if you don't want to do the taxi excursion back and forth from KL, which is also an option), but not more. We arrived at our hotel around 6.30pm (De Palma resort - see seperate review), freshened up, had dinner at 20.00 (simple but very good, flavoursome food!) and were shuttled to the jetty to board the wooden rowing boats (which seat 4 only). We then just spend the night in de De Palma resort and the following morning explored the small fishing village of Kuala Selangor with its wet fish market, dried fish, foodstalls etc on foot before making our way back to KL (with an additional stop at the FRIM - Forrestry Research Institure Malaysia). Hope this helps anyone else considering the above as excursions from KL.

6. Re: Anyone been to Paradise Island Resort Pulau Besar melaka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 11:20